Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sitting on Plants

AshaLeelan

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, for seemingly since my Lotls arrived to their new home (they have been with me for about three weeks) they have taken to floating to the top of the tank (not like they are constipated, nose up) and slowly sinking until they land on one of the smaller fake plants or in the branches of a larger one. They will sit there for quite a while. I was wondering if this is a sign of stress or just normal behavior. They are about six inches long, but not sure how old.

Any help would be great, thanks.

keiko

Reaction score
It's perfectly normal. My wild type always sits on some plant. If they can't seem to get down then it's a problem.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yep - sounds normal to me. Mine sit on anything - ornaments, plants, the filter, my hand....

Cacique

Reaction score
Just like everyone's axolotl, mine does it too. Sometimes he'll cram himself in the middle of his large anubias and do a hand stand. Hard to see when they blend in. I think they like to hang out in all sort of weird ways, as mine wedges himself between the back of the tank and the filter intake tube and holds himself up on there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!