Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Your favorite coloration of T.granulosa?

Favorite natural Taricha color

• Total voters

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Not albino (Not sure if those even exist in the hobby) but what are your favorite natural colorations of the Rough-skinned newt, Mine are the ones with black or very dark brown backs, with gold bellies. Answer with replies and on the poll

TatoTesla

Reaction score
I think they all have a variation of those colors I think.. At some times, my T. grans will appear a lot darker or lighter.. I always just assumed that it had to do with shedding as sometimes I've found her shed lying around in the tank. But I agree, the dark brown and gold bellies are gorgeous. I'm also a fan of T. rivularis (which I don't think is existent in the hobby) but the colors are nearly black on the dorsal side and blood orange/red on the ventral side :)

sde

Reaction score
I voted brown with orange belly and brown with gold (yellow?) belly, though i do really like dark brown with an orange belly as well. However probably my favorites are the "golden" ones, as i call them, which are a light brown, but that's not a poll option.

RoughSkinnedNewt

Reaction score
I like light brown with gold bellies the most. Most rough skinned newts that I see in the wild have black backs and orange bellies. Do their colors change depending on the time of year or is it more like a genetics thing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!