Slate Tile And Sand Combo Bottom

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Has anyone used a combination slate tile and sand bottom? I was thinking of laying slate tile on the bottom of a 50 gallon tank and filling in the cracks and edges with sand. Making the setup a less permanent bottom, in case I want to change it in the future. Filling the cracks with silicone would make the bottom more of a permanent. Placing sand in the cracks and/or a thin bottom layer under the tile would prevent food and waste (I figure) from going under the tiles and being trapped.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Has anyone used a combination slate tile and sand bottom? I was thinking of laying slate tile on the bottom of a 50 gallon tank and filling in the cracks and edges with sand. Making the setup a less permanent bottom, in case I want to change it in the future. Filling the cracks with silicone would make the bottom more of a permanent. Placing sand in the cracks and/or a thin bottom layer under the tile would prevent food and waste (I figure) from going under the tiles and being trapped.
Anyone have any thoughts?

I use sand, tiles and large slate stones in my lotl tanks.

Attachments

• inCollage_20180611_162204638.jpg
    inCollage_20180611_162204638.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 269
  • inCollage_20180611_162736576.jpg
    inCollage_20180611_162736576.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 223
NiadiaNz your tanks look amazing! Did you silicone the tiles down or are they just placed on the bottom with a layer sand under it.

NiadiaNz your tanks look amazing! Did you silicone the tiles down or are they just placed on the bottom with a layer sand under it.

Hi, they are just sitting on the bottom, I try to keep sand in the gaps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back