Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What to do with uneaten worm bits??

Kitan

Reaction score
Okay, I am SURE someone has asked this but I cant find it anywhere!

I just purchase an axolotl juvi (5 inches) and he only eats 1/2 to 2/3 of a large Canadian nightcrawler a day. I tried red wigglers and he was absolutely NOT having it. He's also had a bit of cut up peeled\cooked shrimp. I am avoiding frozen food at the moment as the tank is still cycling (not ideal, but working with what I've got and he seems a happy boi) and the extra mess will NOT help. SO this leaves me with a bit of a conundrum! I always have some chopped up worm left over and...I dont really know what to DO about it. I have been leaving the worm bits out of the tank in a small dish with some water in it and just feeding the next day (still alive and moving even if kinda gross), but I dont know if that is safe for him and I dont want to put the half-worm back in with the whole ones.

Any advice\experience on this one?

MnGuy

Reaction score
My suggestion is to cut the worm in half and leave one half intact and place it back into the worm bin/dirt. Only dice up the other half and feed that. No need to dice up the entire worm if your axolotl is only eating one half.

Good luck.

Kitan

Reaction score
Oh I do just cut it in half and then progress as needed. So you think the worm with a gaping wound would not contaminate the bin? I mean I suppose it is part compost, so perhaps not?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!