Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma maculatum losing spots?

Harly

Reaction score
One of my spotted sals is very dark and has only faint spots. I wasn't concerned until I saw a picture of her from before I owned her. The first picture is from the day I got her (they're on more suitable substrate now... previous owner kept them in a small plastic box with some decorative stones) and the second one is from before they were mine (they also don't eat mealworms anymore). She's also pretty thin compared to her tankmate but at least appears to be putting on weight. Should I be concerned? Could this be related to some sort of nutritional deficiency/husbandry issue or is it just genetic? They were very picky and sluggish when I first got them but have since improved their appetite.

Harly

Reaction score
Didn't post pictures, sorry!

Attachments

• IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 395

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
I think it could be due to what your feeding it as well, and your set-up from the photos does not look acceptable, as A.maculatum are a burrowing species, and can't when there's no soil for them to do so

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I think it could be due to what your feeding it as well, and your set-up from the photos does not look acceptable, as A.maculatum are a burrowing species, and can't when there's no soil for them to do so

The first post says thats how the previous owner was keeping them, and that it is now on a proper substrate.

Harly

Reaction score

In my first post, I stated that heir previous owner kept them on rocks with some sphagnum moss. They're been on cocofiber/topsoil for about two months now.

Harly

Reaction score
mealworms are not the best thing to feed I would suggest you feed earthworms they are much better for them
In my first post, I stated that their previous owner fed them mealworms and that they are no longer eating them. I feed them nightcrawler pieces and red wigglers.

Harly

Reaction score
Photo from last week in their current setup. In my first post, I used the photo from the day their previous owner gave them to me because they were both in it and it showed their patterns best.

Attachments

• IMG_3750.jpg
    IMG_3750.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 366

schmiggle

Reaction score
I believe yellow spots in salamanders are often linked to beta-carotene, which can be given to salamanders by feeding it to prey items. It's found in orange vegetables, such as carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, etc.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Okay great. Their set-up looks fine, you're doing great, no idea why its color is fading. What are its temperatures?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe yellow spots in salamanders are often linked to beta-carotene, which can be given to salamanders by feeding it to prey items. It's found in orange vegetables, such as carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, etc.

This is certainly true for some species like Cynops or Notopthalmus for example, but species like Tylototriton and Pleurodeles seem to produce their own orange/red pigment.
I don't know where Ambystoma fall in relation to this though, I will try and look it up.

Harly

Reaction score
This is certainly true for some species like Cynops or Notopthalmus for example, but species like Tylototriton and Pleurodeles seem to produce their own orange/red pigment.
I don't know where Ambystoma fall in relation to this though, I will try and look it up.

That would be great, thanks!
From what I've read today, it isn't known whether amphibians can convert beta carotene to Vitamin A. And a Vitamin A deficiency would likely be the cause of the pigment loss, right? I think I'm going to start (or at least try... these little guys are much pickier than my tiger salamanders) dusting with Herpevite... Is there any risk for toxicity there? Does anyone know how often I should dust or if that's even a good idea?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!