Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red and dying help

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
Pic update

Attachments

• IMG_20160512_165035.jpg
    IMG_20160512_165035.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_20160512_165020.jpg
    IMG_20160512_165020.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 538

Donna001

Reaction score
That does look like the blood borne bacterial infection noted in this link.
Axolotls - Health & Diseases
You really do need to take your little on to a vet as he needs antibiotics.
Although Maracyn is listed in the safe medicines for axolotls, and it contains antibiotics, the bacterial infection is substantial and I would expect your little one to require antibiotics by injection to ensure the correct dosage.
Please find a vet now.
Herp Veterinarians

Zobug

Reaction score
I'm also putting my bet on septicemia, which absolutely requires a vet trip and antibiotics. That axolotl will not make it if it doesn't go to a vet and it is in fact septicemia. Septicemia is not something they will recover from via fridging. I understand how easy it is to get any sort of pet on a whim and think everything will be okay, but you REALLY should have money set aside for a vet with every single animal you take into your care. It's only fair to them as you are their provider, and you are responsible for their well-being. Long post short; vet. Go to a vet.

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
I'm also putting my bet on septicemia, which absolutely requires a vet trip and antibiotics. That axolotl will not make it if it doesn't go to a vet and it is in fact septicemia. Septicemia is not something they will recover from via fridging. I understand how easy it is to get any sort of pet on a whim and think everything will be okay, but you REALLY should have money set aside for a vet with every single animal you take into your care. It's only fair to them as you are their provider, and you are responsible for their well-being. Long post short; vet. Go to a vet.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If you want to have a pet that requires special care you really need to ask yourself what's best for the animal in the long run and can I provide that special care in the case of an emergency.
This poor little guy is seriously suffering and needs medical attention sooner rather than later.
No excuses.

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
Vet is not an option. He was looking great yesterday almost normal n today his hands r missing and his head has a large read spot. The right thing for him at this point it euthanize him humanely. I have done some research n the blood bacteria is horrible even if he did/would have seen a vet there is no garentee. Say all the horrible thing you want cuz I can't feel any worse. I didn't know you could get so attached to amphibians. And now they are gone so please help me to end his suffering quickly.

Donna001

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that your little one is so unwell. It is very easy to get incredibly attached to an amphibian very quickly.
I have not been in this situation before, but found this Caudata Culture Articles - Euthanasia
Please make sure that you have considered all the options and that you are making the right decision for your axolotl.
My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Like Donna said, I'm sorry that your little guy is so unwell. I don't know anything about at home euthanasia but I will say that in the future I hope you're more prepared when you keep an exotic pet. They often require expensive and special care and if you're not in the right situation to take care of it, maybe you should reconsider buying it for the animal's sake.
There's a lot of unnecessary suffering going on here, for both you and the poor Axolotl, I hope it passes on soon so it's not in any more pain.

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
would any of these help? API Melafix. Enrofloxacin, API Furan-2, Methylene Blue, Maracyn, API E.M. Erythromycin, or Mercurochrome. i did deeper research and these are said to be safe also recommended a salt bath? Any ideas? or does no one know, which may explain y every1 is saying vet rather that offering solutions.

Enrofloxacin is the generic form of the antibiotic baytril which was prescribed to some one by a vet.

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
would any of these help? API Melafix. Enrofloxacin, API Furan-2, Methylene Blue, Maracyn, API E.M. Erythromycin, or Mercurochrome. i did deeper research and these are said to be safe also recommended a salt bath? Any ideas? or does no one know, which may explain y every1 is saying vet rather that offering solutions.

Enrofloxacin is the generic form of the antibiotic baytril which was prescribed to some one by a vet.

Everyone is saying "vet rather than offering solutions" because we are not trained animal doctors who deal with infections in amphibians.
I'm not going to give you advice on how to euthanize your Axolotl unless I know what I'm talking about, I don't want to see the poor thing go through anymore unnecessary suffering.
That's why everyone is telling you to take it to a vet, there's no need to be so ignorant.

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
i am trying to save him i only need to know what works. i am not prepared for this and there aint a vet in my area so i need other information i am sure others have been through this and could let me know what was used. sorry if i hurt ur feelings but ur not helping my axo. Please dont judge and help find the best course of action. he is less red today so he is fighting.

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
i am trying to save him i only need to know what works. i am not prepared for this and there aint a vet in my area so i need other information i am sure others have been through this and could let me know what was used. sorry if i hurt ur feelings but ur not helping my axo. Please dont judge and help find the best course of action. he is less red today so he is fighting.

I'm certainly not judging, I just know if I was in your situation I would drive however many hours I needed to and spend whatever money I had to to make sure my animal wasn't suffering.
I guess people are different.
Good luck to you, hopefully someone else here can provide you some advice.

Donna001

Reaction score
The reason that people are saying that your little one should go to a vet is because a septicaemic bacterial infection requires antibiotics and the best way to deliver them is by injection, which needs to be done by a vet.
I have attached a link about axolotl health. The section that relates to your problem is towards the bottom of the "bacterial and fungal problems" section, and just above the pictures showing injection sites.
Axolotls - Health & Diseases
Erythromycin is on the list of safe treatments and it is an antibiotic which would probably the sort of thing that would be used for the treatment of a bacterial infection, but as Sammy said, we are not trained to suggest antibiotic treatments or how to deliver them.
Even if you cannot take your axolotl to a vet is there a vet that you could phone and talk to, perhaps email some pictures and have a consultation over the phone?

Lucky10v3

Reaction score
That is an awesome idea THANK YOU ? I will find a vet to at least contact.

Zobug

Reaction score
Good idea on calling the vet. I second that. If you can't get him to one, at least talk to one that specializes in exotics. Also, just in case I missed it or no one has told you-- don't give your axie a salt bath for this. They're irritating and really only for fungal infections, which your axie doesn't have. Your axie also probably has incredibly sensitive skin right now given the amount of things going wrong in its small body, so all a salt bath would do is hurt it more.

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Erthomycin can't fend off red leg/septicaemia. Salt baths are useless here.

One question is there a pink blush on the stomach of your axie? Can you share a pic of the stomach area?

Enroflaxcin, I never got to save one of my Axies on time with it as septicaemia is fast acting. If they do tell you to do oral injections, Instead you can also put your axie in a tub of water that is not high enough to cover the back fin, drop a drop on the back and let it bath like that for 20 minutes tops. Then wash the axie in regular declorinated water and then transfer back into the tank.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I see from your first post on this thread that you have recently added sand, sand used from blasting has been advised against. Concerns where raised about what it contains, and that the grains may be very sharp.
If you are still keeping your axolotl in its main tank, remove it an keep in a separate container somewhere nice and cool. You will need to change the water daily with dechlorinated water.

Donna001

Reaction score
That is amazing. :happy:
I saw the before and after pictures on the other post and the difference is fantastic.
This is wonderful news, I'm so pleased to see that your little one is looking so much better.

Zobug

Reaction score
What a fighter! Glad you didn't give up on him. :) Very happy to see a positive outcome.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!