Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neon tetras as feeder fish

Sazbob

Reaction score
Are neone tetras a good source of food to occasionally feed my firebelly newts ? I ask this because i am getting more newts and along with them comes neon tetras. I didn't have anyone to give them to so i thought that maybe i could feed them to them. They don't come from a petshop so should be healthy and i'd give them other food sources aswell. I know of someone who buys his from a petshop and all his newts are healthy but this might just be a lucky occasion ?

freves

Reaction score
It is not exactly clear from your post. How are you getting neons along with newts? In all honesty as long as the fish are healthy and small enough to be easily swallowed then a neon tetra would probably not be a bad variety item to be offered every once in a while. Still though, it seems such a shame to feed them out. Perhaps you could offer them in trade for credit at a local fish store.
Chip

Sazbob

Reaction score
I'm getting my newts and tank from a guy i know who can't keep them any more and he has neon tetras also that he needed to get rid of. He was thinking of feeding them to the newts anyway so i don't think he would mind if i let the newts eat them.

benw

Reaction score
personally i wouldnt dream of feeding neons to newts, seems a bit like feeding a hamster to a cat, but i suppose if needs must.......

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps you could really quickly join a neon tetra forum and then offer the fish for sale, trade, or giveaway. Of course, I'm sure the newts won't object to them either...

silverskull

Reaction score
what about for axolotls?will the neon tetras be fine with the axolotls?i plan to keep them as feeder fishes when im away for vacation.

katweazel

Reaction score
[when i bought my axolotl i put neons in as live food and as long as they are small enough they make ideal feeder fish,QUOTE=silverskull;212554]what about for axolotls?will the neon tetras be fine with the axolotls?i plan to keep them as feeder fishes when im away for vacation.[/QUOTE]

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
what about for axolotls?will the neon tetras be fine with the axolotls?i plan to keep them as feeder fishes when im away for vacation.

[when i bought my axolotl i put neons in as live food and as long as they are small enough they make ideal feeder fish,QUOTE=silverskull;212554]what about for axolotls?will the neon tetras be fine with the axolotls?i plan to keep them as feeder fishes when im away for vacation.
[/QUOTE]

The temperature and water chemistry requirements for tetras and axolotls are VERY different. The axolotls will appreciate the snacks though. Have a go at the sticky on this subject, and the companion article on Caudata Culture.

corientalis

Reaction score
I don't think firebelly newts could actually catch healthy neon tetras. I kept my C. o.-s with white clouds which are similar to neon tetras in size and movement speed, and not even a single minnow was killed by them. They even bred in the newt tank, and time to time some of the fries reached adult size (most of them were sucked in by the filter I think).

Eydis468

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question, but it's not totally related to the topic. I have tetra fish and I tried to feed them, but it seems that my fish is not eating. I tried to feed him with all types of fish foods, but Im losing hope. I did some research on my own and found out that feeding fish pot oil does give their metabolism a boost. Like this article about a marijuana strain https://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/berry-white/. If this is true I can't find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!