Cynops cyanurus male

At work, the winter temps are about 60 F with a summer temp close to 72-74 F.
The ones at work have access to a land area but never use it.
The metamorphs I have raised never even went on land despite it being available.
Photoperiod varies between 10 hours in the summer and 9 hours in the winter.

Ed

Thanks Ed and Erik, very interesting!
That means approximately 15 to 20 (Erik) and 15 to 23 °C (Ed).
When talking with other cyanurus keeper, I often heard, that they usually start to lay eggs in the warm periods. While keeping my females, I had the impression, that this two did not like low temperatures (deeper than 10 °C = 50 F) for a longer time.
This seems to be in a contradiction to the natural situation – southern mountain location.
I would think, that there are very extremely changing temperatures - cold in winter and night, hot in summer and day!
But never was there, so this are only speculations!
Someone more ideas or information?

Paul

Hi Paul,
The one point I forgot to add was that I fed the larva only blackworms. The last batch I raised I didn't even bother to chop the blackworms. The larva would eat the ends off the blackworms and just slowly work thier way down the worm. This lowered the risks of any problems with water quality.

With regard to the warmer water, the cyanureus at work begin laying eggs when the water warms up to about 68-70 F and most years keep laying eggs until the water temperature drops below that point.

Ed

Hi,

my Cynops cyanurus yunnanensis male has an yellow/orange spot on his side (above the hind leg):
23662.jpg

But I am pretty sure, it is no chenggongensis.
biggrin.gif

Paul

LOL, very nice Paul. I have a couple similar markings on a few of my yunnanensis. It's not difficult to imagine populations of these animals with 1-10 such spots eh?

Imagine a cyanurus population as variable as the "pyrrhogaster-group" or the "verrucosus-complex". Looking forward to see the essentials of the original description of chenggongensis however. I wonder if there are more distinguishing characteristics than the dorso-lateral spots.

Indeed Ralf. But there's really no need to imagine such a thing, as Erik Keyster's "yunnanensis" at the Cincinnati Zoo have produced offspring showing the full range of cyanurus subspecies characteristics, all from the same parents.

The information in "Rare and Economic Amphibians of China" certainly appears to be information taken directly from the original description due to exceptional detail (toe lengths, etc.). I suppose I did not make this clear in the chenggongensis post (thanks Jesper
biggrin.gif
). The information is very detailed and typical of a formal species description.

Ah well, it appears to be a touchy subject, so I'll leave it at that.
uhoh.gif

Anybody mind if I move this very interesting thread over to the fire-bellied newts discussion area, maybe after it plays out a bit?

I thought it had played out
hat.gif

BTW, I do have the original Kou and Xing in my possession now. It is the same info as presented in "Rare and Economic Amphibians"

Mission accomplished!

(thread moved here from photo gallery)

Here a picture of one of the ones at work that shows a fair bit of the belly pattern and color.

Ed
25336.jpg

The cheek spot on this one is merged into the spot that runs under the neck. These can be very colorful.

Ed

Jepp
crazy.gif

this morning 1,5 years later I saw my Chemnitz female following the male - first time!
A lot of sperm in the tank.
Just I found this:
64386.jpg

Paul

Congratulations, Paul. Something must have happened this weekend to "motivate" your animals.
biggrin.gif

Good luck and please keep us updated.

This morning at six o'clock I saw successful mating.
love.gif

See the sperm on the cloaca of my "Chemnitz"-female.
c_c_y-f-sperm.JPG

Paul

Great going, Paul! It'll be great if there is some successful breeding of this type of cyanurus!

I took up this old post!
Now the juvenile are little more than one year old.
Was hard to bring them back to water, but then they grow very fast.
Now the largest reach a size of the male and they got a new larger tank. They also got more light.
And what happens? Some are still dark with blue parts, but some become brown. Look here:
5907080029.JPG

Any idea about the reason.

Paul

In the C. cyanurus at work I have seen a wide variety in the body color from very light tan (and one neotonic yellow individual (I need to post pictures of it again) to a dark brown color.

If they larva are kept aquatic they can potentially reach adult size in 6-9 months.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back