Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone remember how long it takes? (karelinii)

eldaldo

Reaction score
Anyone remember how long it takes for Karelinii to get back legs? and how big they have to be to eat blackworms?

I have a ton of larvae that hatched in september and they still haven't shown signs of back legs yet. I thought by almost two months they would be big enough to eat chopped blackworms, but they show no interest. (I did this last year with the larvae's parents and I don't remember them growing so slow)

Could it be because this is the first year for the parents?

rigsby

Reaction score
Crested newt larvae are big eaters and need lots of small food such as daphnia to bring them on to a size where they can manage black worm. are the pieces of black worm still moving as at that age the larvae will need to see the food move. Cresteds would normally breed in spring so the larvae may be of poor quality.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be due to young parents. What have they been eating up to this point?

eldaldo

Reaction score
I've been feeding them BBS. This is probably not the best food source, but I can't afford daphnia, and it worked last year when I raised the parents. There are about eight out of the forty that look like they are close to getting back legs, but there are alot of really small ones that are below average as well. I suspect it is because they are from young parents. The parents weren't even a year old when they bred. I have plenty of brine shrimp eggs, so I guess I can just stick with it until they eventually get big enough for blackworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!