Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Phantom eggs - T.marmoratus

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After a winter cooling my T.marmoratus have now been aquatic for a few weeks. The males are fully crested and courting the females, who are in good shape, so I’m hopeful they will breed as they did last year. Over the last week however the females have started laying phantom eggs. A number of leaves had been folded and glued in the normal egg laying fashion but there’s no egg inside, just a small amount of jelly adhesive. Anyone seen this before and what could the purpose be?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mark. I´ve seen that in eaten eggs...most times the egg is eaten enterily, but sometimes i´ve seen the jelly remain. Maybe it´s that...dunno...

coendeurloo

Reaction score
I've seen this often with other Triturus species and my C. e. popei group. I predict the real egglaying will start soon, most likely they are just 'practicing'.

Jake

Reaction score
I've seen all of my adult females marms do it a lot this year. The other day I noticed one of my female Cynops pyrrhogaster laying an egg, but when I looked close at the java moss clump she made, it was exactly how you just described.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess we can put it down to practicing then. It’s quite a balancing act folding those leaves and squeezing an egg out so who can blame them for having a dry run.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Practice time over - although I suspect duds.
IMG_2153.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!