Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

going to buy T.Marmoratus juveniles

snussmak

Reaction score
hi, i'm about to buy some marbled newt juveniles. according to the breeder they are about 4-5 cm (approx. 2 inches). so my question is: does anyone know during which period of their life that they start to live on land (for at least the bigger sum of the year).

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the breeder now keeping them terrestrial? Right now is the time they would usually be terrestrial. The become more aquatic as they become adults.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s most likely that the breeder will be selling recently morphed juvies...at 4=5 cm that´s what i would expect. In that case, you should keep them terrestrial. Depending on individuals, temps, etc, it´s possible to raise them aquatic, but i would recomend you to keep them terrestrial..specially at such an small and delicate size....you can try and make them aquatic when they are bigger, or you can wait until they are mature and ready to breed.

snussmak

Reaction score
It´s most likely that the breeder will be selling recently morphed juvies...at 4=5 cm that´s what i would expect. In that case, you should keep them terrestrial. Depending on individuals, temps, etc, it´s possible to raise them aquatic, but i would recomend you to keep them terrestrial..specially at such an small and delicate size....you can try and make them aquatic when they are bigger, or you can wait until they are mature and ready to breed.

my mission is not to convert them to an aquatic life, quite the opposite actually. maybe most because a woodland terrarium is much more enjoyable to watch rather than an aquarium. :)
as any other european newt/salamander i suppose the thrive in colder temperatures? i've always kept my sallies and newts in temperatures ranging from 14 celcius to 19 celcius depending on species. but as it is a central european salamander i suppose the need temperatures ranging from between 15 to 18?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1