Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange mouth issue

drmunroe

Reaction score
The last night i noticed something strange. One of my axies (golden albino about 8cm long) has something in its mouth. The area under its bottom jaw is quite swollen, much like a frog. Its mouth is alittle open also. The body has thinned out alittle & it hasnt eaten since i've noticed it.
About 2 days ago i fed them a live earthworm that would have been over 15cm long. One of my albinos ate so much of it & became really fat. Not sure if it was the same one but a day or so later i found this.
As i mentioned it is quite obvious that is has something in its mouth & the body has thinned out a little.

Any ideas? I dont have my camera so i cant take a pic :(

digger

Reaction score
I seem to remember a thread on here a week or two ago with another person having the same sort of symptoms. If you can locate the thread and see their pictures, and it is the same they might of had the help you need.
Sorry cant be more helpful but the best of luck.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Something stuck in the mouth is one possibility. There are also mouth infections that cause the same symptoms (swollen throat, inability to fully close the mouth). If you are able to rule out having an object stuck in the mouth, you could hit it with a course of antibiotics.

drmunroe

Reaction score
well there definately appears to be something in its mouth. one thought was maybe somehow it had coughed some of its insides up as it is quite thin compared to the others. I know if it were true it would probably be dead but it was a thought...
i have been unable to locate that thread that was mentioned. can anyone provide a link?

digger

Reaction score
Try sending Spazzatron a message im sure they had dealings with this somewhere along the line.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!