Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

fruitfly substrate

snussmak

Reaction score
hi, i've recently bought a colony of fruitflies. my question is: the man who sold them used some form of substrate in which the flies mated on and laid their eggs and the larvaes later on started to eat on the substrate. anyone know what this substrate might consist of?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There are several formulas, some are home-made and there are also comercials ones.
I don´t know if the one i use is the best but it certainly works (i get quite a lot of flies).
You can do some research aroung the net, you will find several recipes.
Mine, in case you´re interested consists on:
-Potato puree flakes(not sure about the english name)
-Sugar(a spoon)
-Wheatgerm(a spoon)
-Some dried yeast.
Add water or juice until it´s a wet mass(not too wet).

Also check this site:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.cann/articles/Drosophila.html

morg

Reaction score
As i have posted before i have tried just about every fruit fly media going and in the end settled on just banana for my fruitfly cultures which works well with only minimal smell.
I have asked Alan about his method of rearing fruitfly in the past, but with me having bad experiences with using potato flakes due to the smell, i never got around to trying it.
However i sat and watched the link posted,did EXACTLY as Alan advises and have to say that, he has done it again, that is definately the best and most productive method i have used, no smell at all,and huge amounts of flys.
cheers Alan

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
All fruit fly cultures smell, it's just a question of how much. Try to keep the culture on the drier side (but not dry) - they smell worse if they are very wet.

radtad

Reaction score
This is what I have used and have a great success with all types of fruit flies
Boil
In a pot bring the following to a boil.
2 cups water
2 cups vinegar
1/8th cup Dark molasses
1/2 can of grape juice concentrate
2-3 overripe mushed up bananas

After bringing this mixture to a boil, add the dry material
1/2 cup malt of meal
2/3 cup potato flakes
1/3 cup Brewers Yeast (the key ingredient)

Place about 2 inches of medium in each qt size jar, and sprinkle maybe an 1/8th teaspoon of activated yeast on the top. A day later, 20-30 flies are added. For the first 10 days, I keep the cultures in cardboard boxes which are kept closed, after that, I keep them on a large shelf to help the larvae dry out.

Hope this helps
Radtad

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1