Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help sex my axy.

whyjune1st

Reaction score
This is Bjork she is not quite full grown yet but getting there. I was hoping that you guys could give me your opinion on if shes male or female. I have been leaning towards female (wishful thinking). Please let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• CIMG0413.jpg
    CIMG0413.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 969
  • CIMG0436.jpg
    CIMG0436.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,393
  • CIMG0477.jpg
    CIMG0477.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 3,681
  • CIMG0456.jpg
    CIMG0456.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 653
  • CIMG0455.jpg
    CIMG0455.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 552
  • CIMG0454.jpg
    CIMG0454.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 2,072

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I may be going out on a limb here, but I think Male. That's quite a bulge to the cloaca. Could I be a dreadful pain and ask that you take a photo of the axolotls cloaca region from above?

whyjune1st

Reaction score
Here is the best pictures i could get from above. It was a bit tricky. I hope this helps. If not let me know and i can try again. Thanks again.

Attachments

• CIMG0493.jpg
    CIMG0493.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • CIMG0498.jpg
    CIMG0498.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 841

ianclick

Reaction score
I agree it is quite round, but the 2 things that still make me think male are, the size of the cloaca and it does not look like the shape of a gravid female to me, I would attribute the "roundness" to eating habits. but I guess a clutch of eggs would have to be the determining factor

Can I also ask "why june 1st?"

whyjune1st

Reaction score
No good reason for whyjune1st, something that has just stuck since like middle school I guess. . . but anyway as much as i would like her to be female so that i could breed her with my other obviously male axolotl (very apparent spermatophore in his tank) that pictures from above, she, or should i say he, just ate a Canadian night crawler maybe an hour or so before. Therefore from all of you guy's input i am beginning to believe that she is actually a he. So i guess the better question is does anyone have any good conversions of bjork to a masculine form? Haha thanks. . .

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not convinced its a male either.

Males will have a cloaca that bulges out from the sides, which is usually quite visible.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
You say it's not quite full grown, but do you know the actual age? That may be a better determing factor.

Although if it is in fact almost of breeding age then I would have to go against the grain and say female as well.

Heck, just stick it with the known male. If you get eggs then you know for sure she is in fact a she.

whyjune1st

Reaction score
Its funny that you said that. Last night I actually placed my male (Bob Ross) in with my female (Bjork) because i feel like they are comparable in size and Bob is no longer a danger to her. Today when i got home from work i found 7 or eight spermatophore on the bottom of the tank. No eggs but definitely spermatophore. Bob never did that when he was alone in his own tank. Do male axolotls usually leave those if there if there is no female present? Can i safely assume that Bjork is a girl because Bobs all up in her business? haha pardon my french. Thanks for all the great input.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Hmmmm, sorry to burst your bubble and all that, but when I introduced my juvie male to the adult male, the adult starting depositing spermatophores! I think they're just a bit over-enthusiastic when any new axie appears on the scene!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Kerry. I had 3 males in a tank, and any time I moved things around, or changed anything, they'd all drop spermatophores like crazy. You know, just in case there might be a lady around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!