Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand for axy tank ?

zanesmumma

Reaction score
Thanks again, blaze. Also, where did you keep your axy while you were putting the sand in the tank? And how long after you put the sand in before you put him back in?

Last edited by a moderator:

zanesmumma

Reaction score
hey guys,
just added play sand to my tank and filled it up with water. it is VERY murky still :confused:
how long do u think before it will clear? got another axy today so i'm dying to put him in the tank.

Toptex

Reaction score
hey guys,
just added play sand to my tank and filled it up with water. it is VERY murky still :confused:
how long do u think before it will clear? got another axy today so i'm dying to put him in the tank.

Did you rinse it Zanesmumma?
I put playsand in my tank on Monday arvo, rinsed it from Sunday arvo several times over. Initially it was foggy ande I freaked out a bit too but by Tues morning it had cleared and Goldie and Jim were introduced to their new tank. Just a matter of being patient I think. I also bought a new axie. I "rescued" him from a pet shop that had no clue how to keep him. He/she was in a really bright, graveled tank with not a single plant or ornament in it. I just couldn't leave it there. So home he came to play with Jim in his new playground. The two of them really do get on well and I don't care what anyone else says when they say that axies are sole creatures, I really think they are good mates. Early days though, the novelty may wear off. :yin-yang:

DSC_0625.jpg

Jim and Goldie - photo was taken before I put the sand in.

Attachments

• DSC_0753.jpg
    DSC_0753.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 765
  • DSC_0607.jpg
    DSC_0607.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 233

zanesmumma

Reaction score
yeah i rinsed it this arvo for over half an hour with the hose in a bucket. its cleared up a fair bit but still very foggy. hopefully will be clear by tomorrow. do u think i should run the filter or wait til it clears up properly? i rescued my new axy from a pet shop today also! there was 3 of them in a small tank with gravel, bright lighting and no hiding places! shocking to say the least! i will post some pics once the water clears and they are both in their new home.
MA your axies are gorgeous, love the golden one!!

thanks for your advice :D

zanesmumma

Reaction score
sorry to be a pain guys but i'd like everyone's opinion on whether or not i should put my axies in their tank yet. the sand was added nearly 3 days ago now and the water's still not quite clear. do u think i should wait another day, or change the water and try again? please let me know as i've got my 2 boys in a fairly small tank at the moment and really want to get them into the big tank asap.

cheers:happy:

Attachments

• P9121556.jpg
    P9121556.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 287

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
DO you have a filter? Is the tank cycled? If your tank is cycled and the water in the tank is appropriate dechlorinated, i don't see why you can't put your axies in. The cloudiness from the sand although aesthetically unappealing, shouldn't pose any particular problems to your axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1