C. cyanurus morphs!

I have 27 larvae that are almost eight weeks old. There are the whoppers, medium size, and a few runts. Everyone is eating well and still looking healthy. I will be glad when they morph all the water changes every day and the bbs feedings can be time consuming....

I also have 7 cynops orientalis. It is interesting that all seven are larger than all the cyranus. And there is not a variation in size between them.

That is interesting, I remember having a great variation between size with only 12 larvae/morphs. I sure remember the days of constant water changes and chopping up blackworms... 27 must be hand full! I think mine started to loose their gills at around 3 - 4 months of age, I believe all my were morphed after 5.
Nice thing is that IMO they are easy to keep aquatic and grow quickly after that.

Thanks for the update!

Mitch

Well I am down to 19 now. I gave a bunch away to a friend. It was too much with all that is going on in my life. Right now I have a total of 19 (in three different sterilite shoeboxes) with 5 morphs. I have been keeping the morphs in the same container as the larvae. There is about 3/4'' water depth with java moss, small driftwood, and rocks breaking the water surface. I understand the morphs probably will not eat for awhile. But when they do should I continue to feed BBS, blackworms, and frozen blood worms worms?
It is funny that the largest morphed and then 3-4 mid ones. The rest are still bulking up. I did create a container for the three smallest as they are markedly smaller. I think less competition will do them some good. Interesting to note my two runts I almost euthanized because they were 3-4 weeks behind on developement even though they hatched at around the same time are now almost as big as the nargest nonmorphed larvae. I am glad I hung on to them.
The other good news is all seven of my c orientalis morphed and are now in their new terrestrial home. The funny thing is they all morphed at about the same size and all within three days. It is amazing how much smaller they look when morphed!!! They will grow fast I am sure of it. My popei were about the same size when I got them and to compare the two is like godzilla vs an ant. But for incredible fast growth my t marms have gotten huge in the 3 months since I got them and they were just babies.....Anyways I digress...Hope all is well with everyone.

Well all my c cyanurus have morphed except three. I am keeping the morphs in the shoeboxes in 1/2''-3/4'' water. They haul out on java moss, small driftwood, and rocks. I keeping feeding blackworms but have yet to see a morph take a worm....But who knows what happens when I leave. I am going to try adding frozen bloodworm, and chopped earthworm to see what happens.

It is interesting to see that cyranus will hang on a log or a rock, while my orientalis were climbing the sides of the bin to escape from the water.

Great news Rick, thanks for the update. I had some cork islands and lots of floating plants when I had them morph. This is also when I dropped the level alittle bit. I never had them trying to escape either and at all times of their life they would stay in or right outside the water.

I should note that I did not want them to have the option and everything they could haul up on was never dry and wasn't more than just breaking the surface. From what I remember they would stay out for a several days (leave the water for several hours then return) and then slowly start going back in the water permanently.

Now that mine are adults I NEVER see them leave the water, in fact I have never actually seen any break the surface other than to grab a breathe (which lasts seconds). They are very aquatic.

Mitch

Sounds like I am on the right track. If I have the energy I am going to construct a 10 gallon to put them in. In the end I think 6-7 in a 29 gallon would be nice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back