Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I.D. required Shrimp/scud

peterrobbo

Reaction score
In my mates garden he has a large plastic sheet 30' x 20' on an area that was a veggie garden. Since my mate has been in the house this has remained undisturbed. On checking there is a large population of freshwater shrimp or sand-hopper type of creature. This is a population that has been living and breeding for a least 7-9 years so self sustaining. I was wondering what they might be. My first thought was freshwater shrimp as there is a stream about 200-300 yards away, but they look and behave like the sand-hoppers you see under seaweed on the beach, but i was not sure these could survive outside the marine environment.
I will attempt to collect some and get pic's ( however these shrimps all look a bit alike to me).
We are located in the south west of the UK, as mentioned the garden is 200-300 yards from a stream and about 5-6 miles from the nearest beach. Any info would be much appreciated.
TIA

Peter

peterrobbo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I sure they are the introduced species your link highlighted, my next move is to see if I can culture them.
All the best

Peter

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!