Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: When should I start feeding my axolotl worms?

totallyrad

Reaction score
Hello!
So I've been feeding my axolotl 'Dagger' some Zoo Med newt pellets since that was his diet when I first got him and I was wondering when I should start feeding him worms? I tried feeding him a sliver of a worm and he ate it (after dangling it in front of him forever!) but then just spit it back out. He has been eating the pellets pretty well but I have to feed one at a time and wait a minute in between each one.

I searched threads but I couldn't find much. He is about 3 inches (7.5 cm) and still pretty skinny. Probably as big around as a finger. I noticed his gills are developing more finally :-D I have no idea how old he is though.

Any suggestions to his age would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!!

ashmac5

Reaction score
Hi,

I got my axies when they were really young about 4/5cm ish and they had previously only been eating frozen bloodworm. They refused to eat this the day after I got them so I tried cut up worms, I read somewhere the rule of thumb is to cut the worm no longer than the width of the axys head. Anyway mine LOVE them, can't get enough and are growing like mad now :D

totallyrad

Reaction score
haha that's awesome :)
So I tried again and sure enough he gobbled it right up haha. Whenever I tried feeding him the worm last time he must have just been full or something. or maybe he's just picky.

You have pictures of your axolotls? I tried taking pictures of mine but my camera is not taking the best pictures. it just looks blurry cause he's still tiny ha.
Thanks for the reply

ashmac5

Reaction score
Hi,

That's really good! Mine have grown like mad since eating worms. I have a pic up on the gallery thread near the bottom, New Axies or summit with ashmac5 under it. I have an underwater fuji and they love to attack it when I try to take pics.

To keep mine interested I like to lower the worm in on tweezers, then I let them chase it a bit, they snap like crazy and chase the worm until they catch it. That way they aren't sucking up sand eating it off the floor and they seem to enjoy the challenge, they come to the front at the same time every day for their worms now! :D

totallyrad

Reaction score
haha i looked up the picture, it's super cute :p
is that black sand you're using or some sort of black rock? i like the way it looks
what kind of sand is it?
and I'll have to try making him chase it after he gets used to eating them ha.

and to eddie:
I am feeding him red worms now so probably will switch and see if he likes other worms after this :p

ashmac5

Reaction score
It's Caribsea black sand, I got it from Seapets.co.uk, its really good as it makes the tank nice and dark and I can see any dirt I need to clean up really easily!

I soak the worms too, I find that after a few hours in water even the most uncooperative worms settle down enough for my axies to gobble them up :D

I'm in the process of building them a bigger hide at the moment, got my aquarium silicone the other day so I can really get started :p

totallyrad

Reaction score
awesome! I'll have to look that sand up. and I'll try soaking them in water but he's just been gobbling them up pretty quickly without soaking them so I don't know if I need to lol. Whatever was stopping him before from eating them isn't stopping him now. He's one hungry little beast :)

ZoeT94

Reaction score
Some axie's don't like being fed using tweezers, others will do so with ease.. My leucistic, Pinky simply won't eat from tweezers, I soak the worms for 5 minutes or so, then if need be, cut them down to size, then feed podge ( my greedy guy who eats from tweezers ) and then leave one wriggling in the sand in sight for pinky. She then waits for me to make a hasty exit from the room and then gobbles it up! :D

taa daa! feeding time in pinky and podge's world!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!