Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pond water for Newt larvae?

rebel

Reaction score
Quick question

As i don't have much access to live food, would i be able to raise my larvae on local pond water locally? It's too small-ish ponds where people can go fishing.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I've done this by transplanting small amounts of water, Lemna trisulca, aquatic mosses, and netfulls of mainly daphnia and scuds. After screening for apparent leeches and other predators, this goes into rubbermaid tubs on the west side of the house, creating a home pond. Eggs and larvae can go into this, but a good screened lid is needed once transformation starts. A good growth of aquatic moss with algae sometimes will provide a "platform" for emergence. When mosquito wrigglers become apparent, I net as many as I can and feed them off to other newts in well-screened cages. Good food supply, but I prefer to keep potential sources of viruses and annoyance to a minimum, so feed before they emerge. I have used rainwater, which was fine where I was before, but could be risky elsewhere [ask Sludgemunkey].

Molch

Reaction score
I raised most of mine on pond water and critters. Just sort out the larger insect larva which could eat your newt babes :)

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
You will need a very fine brine shrimp net run it back and forth along the shore line careful not to stir up the bottom and dip it into a empty jar full of water. If your eyes are good you should be able to she the ponds micro life swimming around after the water settles Try different stretches of shore line to find were this life is gathering. As Otterwoman states watch out for any insect larvae. Do not dump this water directly into your tank. You will need to pour it through the net and just dip the net into the tank to release the food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!