Cynops popei colors

salatriton

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hello
I want to know if my Popei increase skin colors,
I am afraid that she will stay black as a Cynops orientalis.
I harbor the Cynops with earthworms and enchytraeids. this power will increase the ability to color his skin.
you who are more experienced, can you tell me if the Cynops will be colored or black?

Attachments

• DSCN0283.jpg
    DSCN0283.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 593
  • DSCN0284.jpg
    DSCN0284.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 612
If you feed the animal with crustaceans (Artemia, Hyalella, Daphnia), then the yellow parts (underside dorsolateral stripes) will becom more orange and reddish, because these foods contain carothenes. Earthworms and whiteworms won't do so.
Even the dark coloured popei are still different from orientalis. And you can't do nothing with gold speckling on the animal, it's amount depends on the specimen.

thanks janusz.
I will try with mosquito larvae might be okay ...?
from the pictures you can see if there are hopes of staining?

I find that the gold coloration improves with age. I wouldn't expect the change to be too dramatic though.

Mosquito larvae lack the necessary carotenoids, and it would mainly effect the belly, which we can't see.

Blood worms don't contain carotenoids. Daphnia, gammarus, artemia and other crustations do, but not enough to give your animals that extreme red colours you see with wild caught animals. I colour my juveniles with carotenoid powder which they use for increasing the red colours of birds. You only need a very small dosage and that comes in handy, because it isn't cheap.

Do you wish your animals to be more red or do you wish that green colour to turn up? I've got some juveniles here from a friend. They're from South Okinawa. They have less red than I've seen with a lot of other popei, but they've got a lot of green. I could post a pic if you want to know what I mean.

IMG_5042_zps6f32ed48.jpg

You see that they haven't got much red lining. They're bigger now and have more green colours, but still lack red as much as you see here. Their bellies are just as red as you see in most popei animals. Coloured them red with carotenoid powder.

Your animals look a lot like North Okinawa animals if I can remember this correctly when I saw these animals at Joost his place. Got the animals in the picture from him as well.

How much powder do you use and how do you use it? Can you dust crickets with it?What brand do you use?

Thanks , Martin.

I seem to remember a thread where it was proposed that aquatic vs. terrestrial raising of the offspring impacted the abundance of iridophores, but i can´t even recall which one did what.

I'm interested in just the green that you see in the photos of Popei small.
At this point I think my Popei is another sub-species different from that posted by niels d

I seem to remember a thread where it was proposed that aquatic vs. terrestrial raising of the offspring impacted the abundance of iridophores, but i can´t even recall which one did what.

It was a post in the thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...275-raising-metamorphs-aquatic-new-way-p.html

"The Russian caudata-community doesn't advise to raise Cynops ensicauda popei aquaticaly without a terrestrial phase!

Our generally accepted opinion says that the gilded spottiness of skin depends on a duration of life of young newt in terrestrial phase (dryness of air).

The newts C.e.popei raised aquaticaly (without a terrestrial phase) have really accelerated maturation but they resemble Cynops ensicauda ensicauda: the gilded spottiness is minimal (in fact, total lack of spots!)

Are we right, Morg?"

I can't verify or deny that since all of mine have had a terrestrial phase. However, it was in the water that the gold coloration really started to pop. Here is a comparison photo from one particular individual after four months.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 470
  • 0072.jpg
    0072.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 439
So the gold colours might "bloom" when they get in to the aquatic stage. Nice! My animals are still on land, though I'm trying to let them go aquatic at this moment, which is going pretty well. The green colours started to appear after they went on land.

I still can tell my H.orientalis larvae which I raised aquatically from the ones that had a terrestrial fase. These last ones are less dark and more "greyish" in colour. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I don't think so.

When I offer blood worms or tubifex on land for the juvenile FB newts I only use a little bit of powder that fits between my thumb and index finger as if I'm seasoning soup with a dash of salt. Do this until their bellies turn red.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back