Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Terrestrial juveniles humidity

JoshBA

Reaction score
I plan on getting some terrestrial juvenile cynops ensicauda popei in the near future and keeping them in a 10 gallon terrarium until they become aquatic adults. The main thing I'm concerned about right now is maintaining the proper humidity levels. The average humidity levels of my house are from 15 to 25% (this is from radiant floor heating) and I cannot imagine this would be completely healthy for them. I know ventilation is important but without restricting at least 75% of a lid I cannot keep the humidity at even moderate levels.
What are your opinions on this? Am I able to go with a glass lid and are the newts healthy with restricted ventilation?

Niels D

Reaction score
A semi aquatic setup (gravel at one side, water at the other) in a plastic container does the trick for me. I've raised juvenile H.orientalis, C.e.popei and T.cf.kweichowensis this way. I used this setup as well for N.v.louisianensis just before I thought they would turn aquatic. You can offer blood worms on paper towel on the gravel. Using wet paper towels as a substrate is another way to keep a container humid enough even when it's well ventilated. Whe the paper towels are too dry replace them. If there's a source of humidity most juveniles can cope with a dry atmosphere.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!