Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help

layna

Reaction score
The have not been suggested as a treatment for impaction, merely that it MAY help them pass it easier. At least thats what i suggest, but i dont speak for others.

xxianxx

Reaction score
The have not been suggested as a treatment for impaction, merely that it MAY help them pass it easier. At least thats what i suggest, but i dont speak for others.

I am not singling you out Layana, waxworms are suggested in a number of threads for treating impaction/gravel in the gut of axolotls.

layna

Reaction score
It may be helpful to have a "my axie has this, what is the treatment" sticky in the sick axie forum so people can just look at that instead of asking the same questions
i.e
My axie has white stuff on his gills, what shall i do?...Give your axie a salt bath, read the tutorial on how to do it
My axies bum is floating?...Constipation, it will pass or you can put them in the fridge to help, read the tutorial

For the most common problems, idk just an idea. It will mean we dont get repeat posts and people have a clear guide on what to do, without people suggesting their own things.

Amy82

Reaction score
Your missing the point. Waxworms HAVE been touted as a proven treatment for ingested gravel and impaction. It was suggested as a possible treatment and has now assumed the status as a recognized treatment without a shred of evidence that it works. Once information is repeated enough times without being challenged it becomes fact. As for "better" treatments, ingested gravel requires no treatment as it can work its way out over a period of time, if he axolotl becomes impacted a proven treatment is fridging. By pushing the waxworm miracle cure some people may choose not to fridge their pet and rely on waxworms, which may or may not work . As for "stubbornness", I think to continually support a course of action with no proven benefit at the possible expense of somebody's pet is both stubborn and irresponsible. People come to this forum for help, they believe what they read.

Scientifically speaking, simply repeating something DOES NOT make it fact. Consistently reproducible outcomes and physical evidence backed by a strong hypothesis does.

In the case of a novice and I would think in the instance of trying to do what's best for the animal, any and all beneficial methods should be utilized, starting with the safest and most benign.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Scientifically speaking, simply repeating something DOES NOT make it fact. Consistently reproducible outcomes and physical evidence backed by a strong hypothesis does.

In the case of a novice and I would think in the instance of trying to do what's best for the animal, any and all beneficial methods should be utilized, starting with the safest and most benign.

BHOD ........
If something is constantly reported as "fact" without being challenged it becomes an accepted "fact", wether it is true or not. People new to the forum will read this information, assume it is correct and pass this on, regurgitating this unproven information to the next load of noobs who wander in to try and get some advice. This is what is happening with waxworms as a treatment for gravel. There is no actual proof that it works, "Consistently reproducible outcomes" are lacking. If you guys wish to tout an untested treatment for gravel carry on but make sure you inform people that there is no actual proof it has any beneficial effect and let them make their own mind up wether it is worth the effort to try it. Gravel in the gut requires no treatment unless it becomes impacted, in which case fridging is the proven treatment.

Amy82

Reaction score
BHOD ........
If something is constantly reported as "fact" without being challenged it becomes an accepted "fact", wether it is true or not. People new to the forum will read this information, assume it is correct and pass this on, regurgitating this unproven information to the next load of noobs who wander in to try and get some advice. This is what is happening with waxworms as a treatment for gravel. There is no actual proof that it works, "Consistently reproducible outcomes" are lacking. If you guys wish to tout an untested treatment for gravel carry on but make sure you inform people that there is no actual proof it has any beneficial effect and let them make their own mind up wether it is worth the effort to try it. Gravel in the gut requires no treatment unless it becomes impacted, in which case fridging is the proven treatment.

If you've read my posts you will see that nowhere have I "touted" this as a treatment. I've merely provided information regarding digestion and absorption as well as what actually makes something a scientific fact as opposed to a hypothesis.

I still don't understand why if it's something that is only beneficial to the animal you're so vehemently opposed to it. I understand what your saying as "accepted fact" now. I think simply reminding people there is no proof behind the supplementation of wax worms in the diet and that it's a harmless rumored suggestion for passing gravel is a good idea.

I still think that this would make a great thesis.

xxianxx

Reaction score
If you've read my posts you will see that nowhere have I "touted" this as a treatment. I've merely provided information regarding digestion and absorption as well as what actually makes something a scientific fact as opposed to a hypothesis.

I wasnt specifically reffering to you as "touting" this treatment. A hypothesis without testing is a theorey and not proven fact, which why it is wrong to not inform people of this when advising waxworms as a treatment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1