Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Something weird out of bottom

Amy82

Reaction score
What if the temp drops to low during the night? I set the fridge for 7 degrees but dont trust it:/

Keep checking it with a thermometer or temp gun. Wait a few hours between checks, every time you open the door you change the temp. Watch where your returning things as well. If you put something in front or behind or move food on the shelves and it diverts the air from the chiller motor inside the fridge it can change the temperatures of the various shelves. I had someone put a pitcher of water in front of my chiller output and it diverted the air down the back of the unit and my axi had ice on his water once. Fridging can be dangerous if your not careful.

The sell remote thermometers that will send updates to a base and to your smartphone. Might not be a bad investment that way you know what the temp is inside the fridge at all times. You could even put one in his tank when he's all better and have it send you alerts if there are fluctuations.

Axoleyshia

Reaction score
Thank you. I check the temperature every 2-4 hours and when i take something out of fridge.
It's on 8 degrees. Axolotl still hasnt eaten (guess it is normal while in the fridge) and still has not pooped...
I noticed there's something very wrong with her foot as well:(
This is yet another symptom that seems quite rare and could not find anything on it. It does not seem to be white rot as its quite dark, and looks like skin is peeling off...
It starts to look really critical for my poor P!nkie and it breaks my heart that I'm just finding more worrying symptoms and no cure...
Vet has not replied... Called him, he was with another animal... Should call me back... Nothing so far and the weekend starts now so I'm on my own again...
At the moment she is in the fridge since yesterday, with an almond leaf. (Which looks nibbled on but i doubt the axo ate it. But if: is it ok for the axolotl to eat it?
If anyone of you has ideas of what else i could do for the axolotl, please tell me?..
Thank you very much
People are starting to call me crazy acting like that for "a 15 euros pet I could replace" I hate that mentality...
At least in this forum ppl would do what they can to make their axolotls feel better... I want mine to be better... But i'm starting to give up hope:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 293

Axoleyshia

Reaction score
Got a call- it might be red leg:((((((((((((((
i need to bring her to the vets on Monday... Doctor said the fridge might slow it spreading but said that if he does not eat he might starve to death!:(((
What would you recommend with this information?
Leave it in the fridge? - risk of starving
Put it back im the tank? - risk of having a deadly infection spreading (if it really is that)

snuggly time

Reaction score
Keep her in the fridge for now and do daily water changes. Axolotls can live for weeks without eating so just keep hoping for the best. You're doing everything right :happy:

Axoleyshia

Reaction score
Bottom bit of the tail is disappearing and tail is all red... :/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 203

Axoleyshia

Reaction score
Apointment at the vets tomorrow if she survives that long:/
Here's another update photo... Just in case anyone knows what I could do, or, if anyones axolotl has the same symptoms... i'm loosing hope for my little girl:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 261

Axoleyshia

Reaction score
No the same thing coming out of her bottom is coming out from the sides of her, she must be in real pain and very stressed:( her tail is curled since the two last days... I wanna cry when I look at her, she is helpless and so am I:(

Axoleyshia

Reaction score
Tank you.
So, I was at the vets, he kept my little P!nk there. At least until thursday. He is gonna try and force feed her with a tube because he is scared she will starve to death and see what is happening with her. He said he was gonna go back to normal temperature tho, for her to have more appetite.
He said i did even,ore then what i could have done and that what i did was the good choices, so thank you guys for your ideas... It's hard for me to not have her here to see how she is but we'll see what happens:/ There's nothing more I could have done (of course i always think there's always more one can do, but have no ideas what) now I need to trust the vet and hope P!nkie hasn't pased the point of no return....
As soon as I know more I will leep you posted, I think it is important, especially for others who might have similar problems with their little cuties...
Thank you everyone

Axoleyshia

Reaction score
The vet has called. Sadly my little P!nkie passed away last night.the vet thinks she has been in ill health since i got her as she was on the small side and really skinny. Apparently her hips were too small as well. He thinks it was a fungal infection. He gave her a salt bath said he thought it improved her health but the next day she was dead and I am beyond consolation...

layna

Reaction score
Im sorry to hear this, you did everything you could for little lottle x

Axoleyshia

Reaction score
The vet tried to force feed her but she did not eat but threw up:(( she was too weak:(

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Oh my gosh. I am so sorry for your loss :(

May P!nkie swim peacefully under the Rainbow Bridge.

Angi

Reaction score
I am very sorry for your loss, I followed your thread and had hoped for the best.

I know it's no consolation to you or to Pinkie, but because of your situation and what I learned by what you shared, I was able to get some medication for my little Nyx today because I am sure he has the same disease, I am hoping for the best for my little guy.

In all honesty, if he makes it I owe it all to you and Pink and sharing your axie struggles, so I just wanted to say thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1