Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating young juvenile??? newbie

89krisd

Reaction score
Hi folks
I need some advice cause im a confused newbie. Searched the forum but still confused as lots of answers.
I have a juvenile axolotl about 3 inches long only had him a couple days and he was fine until yesterday. He is now floating at the top and wont go back down. His back legs are sticking out to the side and he wont eat anything. Doesnt seem stressed as his gills are flat back and not curled. I have a 10 gallon tank with a hiding place and a plant with sand at the bottom of the tank. Have done daily 20% water changes as i dont have a filter yet. He doesnt seem to be to one side so dont know if he is constipated or air bubble. Can anyone help me please its my sons first pet
Thanks for any help

Sweetie

Reaction score
First question is what are your water parameters (readings of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates)? You may need to do larger water changes to keep these readings within safe levels if you do not have a filter yet and your tank is probably not cycled.

Second, what is the water temperature?

Third, it may be best to take the sand out of the tank, as juveniles can swallow quite a bit of sand, which can cause an impaction. A bare-bottomed tank is safest for an axie just three inches long. Avoid any pebbles - these too can be swallowed and cause a dangerous impaction.

Sometimes juveniles can get air bubbles that cause them to float, and this is usually nothing to worry about. But it is always important to first eliminate any water problems, as these cause many of the problems people have with their axies.

I am sure Auntie Jude and others who have more experience with young axies will have some excellent advice for you. Good luck with your little lotl.

89krisd

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me so quick. Dont about the water cause the person i got it off tolf me to use tap water cause thats what it was born in and grew up in to at this stage.

The water is 18 degress c and there is no large pebbles in it.

Im i better putting him back into a samll container with just enough water in it till he gets better?

Thanks again for replyin so quick

keiko

Reaction score
Have you read and understood everything about cycling a tank? Including ammonia, nitrite and nitrate related stuff?
You need to get a liquid test kit asap to test those water parameters. The axie produces wastes in the tank causing ammonia and eventually the other parameters to rise so the water becomes toxic for the axie.

Putting him in a smaller container with just enough water to cover him will help him feel less stressed. But you must do daily 100% water changes to make sure the water stays fine. If it's constipation or air bubbles, it'll pass in a few days.

89krisd

Reaction score
Thanks for the help what i done was lowered the water level down alot and he seems fine now :) woohoo

Thanks again

Cacique

Reaction score
Don't forget to use a dechlorinator to remove any chlorine, chloramines or metals from the water. Good luck!

axys

Reaction score
you said that "there are no large pebbles" but i want to make sure by that you mean there are no pebbles, because infact small pebbles will be even more of a problem due to the ease of swallowing, i dont think thats related to the floating but always good to keep in mind, either rocks way too large for your axie to ever be able to swallow (and trust me they can swallow pretty big rocks) or a safer bet is fine sand.

i read mixed views on bare bottom tanks, its safe in teh sense that there is nothing to cause impacting but i also heard that it can cause stress because the bottom is too smooth for your axie to grip. not sure if this is true but substrate is very important to consider to avoid future problems.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!