Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blood dots and white lumps under skin and very red veins in tail!?!?! HELP!?

NitroGlow

Reaction score
So, I have recently started feeding my Axolotl earthworms from an organic garden with no pestisides.....and for the past month...everything has seemed to be very well!

Now...yesterday I decided to re-attach one of my plants that I have on a suction cup and I washed my hands....apparently...not realizing...I still had some lotion on the upper part of my wrists and so I promptly sucked out all the water where my hands had been...and replaced it......

Today when I check on my axolotl I found that he has these white lumpy bumps under his skin and a few blood red dots and the veins in his tail look VERY red....more noticeable though is the white bumps...they look IDENTICAL to what's going on with this Axolotl here.....this is not my axolotl...but rather pictures from someone else whom had posted about strange lumpy white bumps....and this person too had started feeding earth worms for the first time....

2012-08-12211150.jpg

2012-08-12211113.jpg

2012-08-12181611.jpg

So...in a panic..because I was unsure if that maybe the bit of lotion I had on my wrists had not all been cleaned out the previous day...I decided to do an emergency FULL tank cleaning ....took out my axolotl gently with a net and put him in a container with clean prime water....took out ALL the plants...took the tank to the bathroom did a full hot water cleaning with vinegar on all the decorations and the tank (NO soap used)....then I washed all the plants with fresh primed water, I cleaned the filter with primed water..then I replaced everything....let it settle for a bit....netted my axie back into his now spotless tank.

I feel terrible! Are the red blood dots from him having burned by some of the lotion in the water that I didn't get out and burned him over night until I did a full tank cleaning?

Could the white bumps and red dots under his skin caused by him eating bad earthworms??

He is very healthy despite this and has a healthy appetite. He is 6 inches in length. Is kept at a temperature of 15Celsius - 19 Celsius MAX. Ammonia 0 Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0. I ALWAYS do my water changes with pre-treated water with prime prior to putting it in the tank. The only changes in the last while have been the earthworms. Prior to that he was eating bloodworms.

PLEASE help!? I am thinking a salt bath would be a good idea in this case...but I do not know how to give him a salt bath...please...please help me someone! I live in a rural area, there are NO exotic vets nearby so I cannot take him to the vet. Despite having these bumps and dots, and red tail veins...he is still very active.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Photos of YOUR axie would be far more useful.

I wouldn't worry too much, a small amount of moisturiser won't cause too much of a problem.

DO NOT salt bath your axie, it is quite stressful and completely un-necessary in this case.

Axies can develop odd bumps and spots for any number of reasons, I doubt whether lotion or worms has anything to do with your axie's problem. Red dots are often caused by bumping in to things or poor water quality in an uncycled tank, white bumps can just be a thickening of slime coat caused by a scrape or scratch.

NitroGlow

Reaction score
Photos of YOUR axie would be far more useful.

I wouldn't worry too much, a small amount of moisturiser won't cause too much of a problem.

DO NOT salt bath your axie, it is quite stressful and completely un-necessary in this case.

Axies can develop odd bumps and spots for any number of reasons, I doubt whether lotion or worms has anything to do with your axie's problem. Red dots are often caused by bumping in to things or poor water quality in an uncycled tank, white bumps can just be a thickening of slime coat caused by a scrape or scratch.

Okay, I took some pictures of my Axolotl named Echo but I CAN't get the white bumps OR red bumps to show up. The red blood bumps actually look like teeny tiny micro blisters....but...I was thinking it's very possible that he got them from crawling into this ornament that's in his aquarium that is a little sharp on the inside....maybe it hurt him?

UiIFZjW.png

QgrqTd0.png

(Beware the white camera flash spots are not fungus! I at least know what fungus looks like thankfully!!!!) Some good news today though is that the red blood veins that were in his tail have gone back to normal! Hoorray!!!

I was looking at my other axolotl last night who is a GFP leucistic....and I noticed that he has some of these strange white bumps on his skin too! Is this something I'm freaking out over nothing? Maybe it's just a natural occurance on Axolotls that I never noticed before? or could BOTH my Axolotls be infected with something? They are NOT kept in the same aquarium...but I DO use the same turkey baster to suck out poopies.

Water quality is kept top notch so I can't see that as being the main issue other than the lotion indicident. :( I do 1-2 partial weekly water changes on both Axolotl's aquariums because they make so much poo....I have to suck out so much with the turkey baster and then have to replace the water after....Water is NEVER allowed to fall into bad conditions! I also have NO substrate in either of their tanks.

Do you think I should stop feeding the earthworms? Would this make the bumps go away? When I netted him it seemed like the red blood dots were actually sticking out....and the white lumps were actually UNDER the skin....so weird. Maybe it is slime coat variances? I really don't know...thus the worry and asking! I love my babies!

NitroGlow

Reaction score
OH NO!!!! BAD news tonight guys! :cry: I suddenly noticed that he had some white stuff that looks like it could possibly be the beginning of fungus along his right back leg and on the right side of his tail and on the underside of his belly....I gently netted him and took a clean qtip and the white stuff all wiped off....it wasn't very fluffy....but it was some sort of white substance that wiped off...I am extremely worried now. The red dots are still there too....But if the white stuff grows back by morning...I will try to get a picture...

His tank temperature is usually 18Celsius...

IF it IS fungus....can someone please tell me what exactly causes the white fluffy fungus? Is it a lack of bright lighting and warm temperatures...? 'cause my tank is 18Celsius....(although it was 20 recently until I realized my heater was on too much since the dial got bumped a bit....I usually have it set to 18C) Now I just turned it off completely for fear that warmth causes fungus and I know cooler temperatures induce healing and I wanted him to be cooler for the red blood dots to heal. :( But... Is it really the Colder the better? I just want to be sure 'cause when the heater is not on and set to 18celsius he water goes to 15celsius because it is very cold here....is that an acceptable long term temperature? Would it be best to keep fungus away? Should I never even bother using the heater and setting it to 18celsius? Can I just leave it at 15celsius all winter?

Any help and advice will be much appreciated! Thanks so much!!!

SilentBenjam

Reaction score
Do you have a water test kit?

From the pictures it seems you are more stressed than he is, his gills aren't pushed forwards and it doesn't look like his tail is curling at the tip. (when he is in the water)

Water over 20C can cause fungus, people recommend 16 - 18C but 1 degree higher or lower than absolute perfection isn't going to hurt it.

mmuumi

Reaction score
The white stuff can be just his slime coat slightly disturbed by all the handling. I mostly wanted to comment on the sharp edges of the ornament - mine had real issues and injuries in a similar situation, so I'd strongly recommend you to buff all the sharp bits off. If your is like mine, he'd love to cuddle in the ornament and if he gets scared all of a sudden and tries to get out - that's where the tears and scratches are coming from.
Wouldn't worry about the bumps, but I'd check water parameters - couldn't get from your description whether your tank is cycled yet, but by cleaning everything out you may have crashed the cycle, so I'd definitely get a liquid test kit (API produce them for example) and do test every couple of days.
Good luck!:)

NitroGlow

Reaction score
The white stuff can be just his slime coat slightly disturbed by all the handling. I mostly wanted to comment on the sharp edges of the ornament - mine had real issues and injuries in a similar situation, so I'd strongly recommend you to buff all the sharp bits off. If your is like mine, he'd love to cuddle in the ornament and if he gets scared all of a sudden and tries to get out - that's where the tears and scratches are coming from.
Wouldn't worry about the bumps, but I'd check water parameters - couldn't get from your description whether your tank is cycled yet, but by cleaning everything out you may have crashed the cycle, so I'd definitely get a liquid test kit (API produce them for example) and do test every couple of days.
Good luck!:)

I have all the API test kits. They're absolutely the most wonderful products to have! Makes everything that much more simple....until you accidentally drop one of the weak flimsy little test tubes that is...Lol. Then it's no fun. >_< I should have about 6 test tubes...instead I have 3. Also...when I did that full tank cleaning I didn't remove the filter media so all the good bacteria's still in there. The red bumps seem to have healed and gone away...and whatever the small white bumps were, they have not come back thankfully! Only problem is now I'm dealing with another issue with No planaria causing stress to my poor Echo,...I made another topic on it. But I posted the url at the bottom of this response here so you can check it out if you have any experience with it. Thanks for everything. :)

Do you have a water test kit?

From the pictures it seems you are more stressed than he is, his gills aren't pushed forwards and it doesn't look like his tail is curling at the tip. (when he is in the water)

Water over 20C can cause fungus, people recommend 16 - 18C but 1 degree higher or lower than absolute perfection isn't going to hurt it.

I actually posted my water quality conditions already. ^^ Amonia 0 Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0 Temperature 17 Celsius. I have ALL the APi test kits. Whatever the blood dots were though,..they seem to have healed and gone away! Only now...I'm having a new problem...and explosion of worms and a severely stressed echo from no planaria....please look at my forum topic if you have any experience with this! http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...verely-stressed-axolotl-no-planaria-help.htmlThanks for all your replies. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!