Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl With Short Curled Gills On One Side

Castanea

Reaction score
Hi I just got my axolotl maybe a week ago. Since being with me he has had his gills on one side of his neck much shorter than the other side, I'm also noticing they are curling forward while the longer ones on the other side stay relatively straight or back. His tail doesn't seem to be curling but I do see him curl it in occasionally. He is moderately active but a little less so than when he first was placed in the tank.

Parameters are looking good, the only mishap was I believe he ate a male guppy that was accidentally left in the tank, he is eating fine though. I have never seen him poop... but he doesn't look bloated.

Basically I'm wondering what's up with the short gills? Could they be stunted for some reason? His gills have also gotten more fluffy even though I have an air stone in the tank.

I'm going to see if I can get some pictures later today.

rachel1

Reaction score
Pics will definitely help. Hard to say without looking at it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!