Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ammonia Help

PilafiaMadness

Reaction score
Hello everybody!! I need a tad bit of help with my Axolotl tank.

I currently house one female axolotl in a 20G Long tank. Two weeks ago we had some nasty storms and with it came a power surge and power outage and with it my filter fried and the tank went a bit haywire as the filter just seemed to dump all the waste back into the tank.. I went out the next day and got everything set back up and all my parameters are back to normal.. except for my ammonia levels. They're not super high, but still, it's bothering me not knowing why they are the way they are. :/

She usually gets an earth worm every other day and I clean up her poop when I see it as well as 20% water changes every other week, so I'm really having a tough time figuring out what the issue is.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Skudo09

Reaction score
Sounds like the cycle has crashed. You will need to monitor the parameters closely and do frequent water changes until the tank has cycled again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!