Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: No time to cycle

albinoaxolotl

Reaction score
I got a new axolotl and I did not have time to cycle my aquarium. The aquarium was empty and I had not used it for a year. How frequently should I change the water and how much of it? the aquarium volume is 100 liters and it has good filtration. Thanks for your help

Skudo09

Reaction score
You will either need to keep your axolotl in a tub and change 100% of the water daily in the tub whilst you do a fishless cycle or cycle the tank with the axolotl in the tank. If you choose to keep the axolotl in the tank, you will need to test the parameters daily and do enough water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at safe levels (below 0.25ppm) whilst the cycle is establishing. Here is a link below on cycling and also one on fishless cycling if you would prefer this method

Scales Tails Wings and Things, What is Aquarium Cycling? How to Cycle your Tank

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

albinoaxolotl

Reaction score
Thanks, The problem is that here in Venezuela is very difficult to get the testers, So I was hoping to know an estimate about the frequency of the water change?, and I assume that 20-25% is fine

Skudo09

Reaction score
Hmm that does make it difficult. The only way to tell how much is needed and whether your tank is cycled is to test the water. Are you able to purchase a kit online? I would do frequent water changes of at least 30% for now but to tell how the cycle is going you need a testing kit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!