Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New Axolotl Owner - babies aren't eating

Zalesa

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new to Caudata and I've been reading for a while until I had to make an account for a question. I got my baby Axolotls 2 days ago and the breeder informed me that they are eating bloodworms. I bought some bloodworms and tried feeding them the next day, about 24 hours after I got them (she had JUST got done feeding them when I picked them up), and they seemed to not have ANY interest in them at all and would not eat. She told me they were about 3-4 weeks old but to me they just seem too tiny to be that old. Then again I don't know a lot about Axolotls. I'm going to the pet shop today to see if any of them carry brine shrimp eggs in hopes they'll eat those.

So my question is what should I be feeding them?

Also they are so little that they still have to be in small containers (for about 2 weeks more according to the breeder) and while they are in there my tank has been cycling.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 394

Zalesa

Reaction score
Forgot to add this picture of my second baby

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 323

Donna001

Reaction score
Hi Zalesa.
Your little ones are adorable. :happy:
Have you tried chopping the bloodworms into very small pieces? A whole bloodworm would probably be too big for your babies.
Also, they may refuse food for a day or so after moving, as that may be a little stressful for them.
Please keep us updated on your progress, with lots of pictures (we love pictures).
:D

Zalesa

Reaction score
Hi Donna!

I'm on my way to go get some brine shrimp eggs now. Unfortunately they aren't looking very well. They are barely moving when I tap their container. I really hope it's not too late. :( I'll keep you posted.

I was worried about this. They seem so young, I didn't think they'd be ready for bloodworms yet but I thought I'd try. I haven't tried cutting them up yet but they just were completely uninterested in any of them, not even attempting to eat the small bits.

Donna001

Reaction score
Best of luck with the brine shrimp eggs.
It might also be worth contacting the breeder to let them know that you are having problems, maybe they could help.

Reaction score
How are the babies doing?
When I received my Luecistic, Ponyo, he was 2-3 months old; very small too. I minced up night crawlers and used tweezers to wiggle and move them. I found that Ponyo responded well to it!
You can also try frozen brine shrimp. Ponyo hates blood worms and won't touch them but likes frozen brine shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!