Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby Axolotl vs. baby tiger salamander..newbie!

eklinds

Reaction score
Hi Everyone :)

Sorry if this question has been asked already or if this is posted in the wrong place but I am completely new to Axolotls and my husband and I are getting our first one this weekend! (if they still have stock at our local exotics shop that is) So here's my question- I am probably just paranoid but I've heard that baby Axolotl and baby Tiger Salamanders look almost identical as babies and that some shops don't know the difference when selling to you. We would happily keep it if it turned into a salamander don't get me wrong! But ideally we would like an Axolotl- are there any sure fire ways to know that what we are purchasing is for sure an Axolotl? (we are getting a leucistic for our first tank and the shop only has babies at the moment) thanks so much!

Felixtacat

Reaction score
Sorry I can't help much more, I don't have any experience with tiger salamanders, but if it's leucistic you can probably guarantee it's an axolotl. Leucistic tigers are a lot more rare so finding one in a pet shop isn't likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eklinds

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Felixtacat! Much appreciated :) that definitely makes sense and makes me feel better, can't wait to get one this weekend!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Google pictures of axolotls and tiger larvae. You will begin to see the difference and then you will be prepared. I think it's mostly in the eyes. The tiger eyes sort of pop out a bit. Look at pics and you'll see what I mean. Also the gills, look at them.
And keep in mind some of the google pics might be misidentified, you look at enough, and you will be able to tell! Good luck.

BreakingBrad

Reaction score
The eyes are different. Tigers seem to have a flatter shaped head. Tigers have more of a tiger stripe pattern. The one striking difference to me is that the tigers rarely ever flick their gills where as axolotls will often do it quite frequently.

I know these things because I was in the same boat except my local pet store said they were tiger salamaders. I thought they were axolotls so we bought them and I was right. The difference becomes quite aparent if you get a chance to see them side by side.

eklinds

Reaction score
thanks so much for the info BreakingBrad! (best show ever by the way if your name is referring to breaking bad:p) this was super helpful and actually might get a tiger down the road!

Cloppy

Reaction score
And wild type tigers tend to be more unicolored, while wild type axolotls usually have some spots.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!