The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 4th November 2017   #1
stefan429

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: stefan429 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Normal feeding and pooping schedule?

Hi guys,

Background info: so I've been feeding my two juvy (about 6 inches long each) albino axies half a nightcrawler a day for a couple weeks now. My yellow one is nice and fat and would eat anything in 1 gulp, its stomach is just as wide as its head. My pink one however doesnt like them as much and takes a while but I get it to eat the food in small portions.

Anyway, I've seen major conflicting info on how much you should feed them and how much they should poop. If i feed them everyday, they poop anywhere from 1-3 times daily. But, I hear you're supposed to feed them everyday at this age and they should poop about once every 2-3 days on that feeding schedule some even saying they feed each a whole nightcrawler with no constant pooping issues. Am i doing something wrong? Should I feed them more or less?

stefan429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017   #2
jclee
(jclee)

Nationality:
Comments: 16
Rep: jclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If they both look like they're at a healthy weight, and they're not showing signs of sickness, I would not worry about changing the feeding schedule.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 8th November 2017   #3
stefan429

Nationality:
Rep: stefan429 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Normal feeding and pooping schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclee View Post
If they both look like they're at a healthy weight, and they're not showing signs of sickness, I would not worry about changing the feeding schedule.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
what if one of them is aversive to eating while the other is a glutton?

stefan429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2017   #4
AxieWooper

Nationality:
Rep: AxieWooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Normal feeding and pooping schedule?

I would say that as long as they're not overweight or underweight you're fine!

you're doing well for maintaining it like you said with the body to head ratio.

Regular Bowel movement can only really be a good thing as it means your axie isnt constipated
unless the temp is too high as that increases their metabolism but as long as it isnt youre all good

As long as you keep them a healthy weight let them poop all day or every 2-3 days

You might find tho because your axie still has a bit of growing to do that they poop a bit less
Fully grown adult axies get fed every other day and get fed a bit more

hope this helps

thanks, Benji

AxieWooper is offline   Reply With Quote