Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: High Ammonia and Can’t Get it to go Down

jpaxson

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 40 gallon tank for my axolotls and recently I have run into and issue with high ammonia readings. I went to my local pet store about 11 days ago to talk with the associates who have cared for axolotls before. They suggested not to do any water changes for one whole week, while adding Seachem Stability to the water, as well as a stress reliever for the axies. I waited one week and tested the water, both on my own and at the pet store, and the ammonia was still reading 8ppm. They then suggested a 25% water change and to use a Nitra-Zorb pouch in the tank. After testing the water again after about 4 days of use of the Nitra-Zorb ouch, the ammonia still isn’t seeming to minimize. I’m worried about my axies health and I am unsure of what to do now. Any suggestions would be helpful!

AxieLover21

Reaction score
CALM DOWN........ just do at least 50% water changes every day until the levels go down

if they show any signs of stress the fridge:wink:

AxieLover21

Dangerwithapen

Reaction score
Like the person above said, doing lots of water changes is a good plan! I've also found that in my tank, having some live plants has really kept the ammonia in check! It may be worth looking into if you don't have any. (I was intimidated at first about putting in plants, but now I'd prefer a planted tank over a fully artificial one!)

What sort of filter are you using? Some filters have add-ons that can help keep ammonia levels down as well. I use an aqueon quietflow for Bear (Though I use the 30gal filter in my 20L tank because he's messy.) and it has a little sponge that picks up ammonia before sending the water back into the tank.

Biev

Reaction score
Fishlore has a good article explaining the nitrogen cycle. It’s a little long, but I highly recommend reading it:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
https://www.fishlore.com/nitrogen-cycle-page2.htm

A good understanding of the topic will help you figure out the best way to cycle your tank and avoid future mishaps. It takes about a month to cycle a tank using Stability, but water changes and a good water conditioner will keep your axolotls safe in the meantime.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1