Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Gills

Scargrim

Reaction score
Hey guys i haven't posted here in a very long time
I have 5 axolotls in a 185L tank the water parameters read as
PH: 7.6
AM: 0.25
NI: 0
NA: 0

These water parameters were just done after a water cycle I did 30 mins ago (i get stressed over my babies)

now i had a gold fish with these guys recently and nothing weird happened, they practically lived in harmony, until i got this 185L tank they are now housed in... Their gills are amazing and in great condition last night, until i returned home today.

I have 4 axolotls with shredded gills. and one axolotl with a busted mouth...
Pictures below. weirdly enough the other axolotl is fine? Might i add this tank is new since sunday and has cycled with the water from the last tank for 24 hours. there has been stress coat and water dechlorinater added to the water also from the top up (my last tank was 130L)

I need to know if this is from the water levels being absolutely messed up, or the gold fish has been picking on the 4 axolotls or if they have been fighting because they have no idea where they are in the new tank and get surprised by one another...

they are well fed axolotls!
the last image you see is the axolotl that hasn't been attacked whatsoever.

There is no Fungus on the gills or tails (one has a mangled tail from something) but no sign of infection, i have checked and checked again.

Thanks for all the help guys! i appreciate any help or Comments that go towards my thread.

Attachments

• IMG_2788[1].jpg
    IMG_2788[1].jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_2789[1].jpg
    IMG_2789[1].jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2790[1].jpg
    IMG_2790[1].jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2791[1].jpg
    IMG_2791[1].jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2792[1].jpg
    IMG_2792[1].jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_2793[1].jpg
    IMG_2793[1].jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

Scargrim

Reaction score
Still patiently waiting for some help, I’d like to address the issues as soon as possible. As I leave for holidays in a month

emdalliance

Reaction score
This to me looks like water quality issues.

Please don't house goldfish with axolotls. Goldfish are extremely messy and will wreck your water plus they're a risk to the axolotls and can pick on their gills and skin.

I don't know what you mean by a "water cycle". Cycling your tank takes weeks 6-8 weeks plus really. You need to be checking your water levels regularly.

Your tank also sounds overstocked. How long is the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emdalliance

Reaction score
Testing the water after just doing a water change can also provide false readings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scargrim

Reaction score
unfortunately the goldfish was housed with them after i came home from work whilst at my parents, and the goldfish was in there for a year but i have taken it out.

the readings were done after 24 hours of the cycle.

A water cycle is when you remove a portion of the water and put dechlorinated water back into the tank as far as i was told.

the tank is a 185L tank it's alot bigger than my last.

also the post was to do with the gills being chewed off, nothing to do with water parameters.

kelliemailloux

Reaction score
I just wanted to add stress coat is actually a water conditioner too, I'd recommend using seachem prime as a conditioner as it turns harmful ammonia into something your beneficial bacteria can use. With those levels I'd say your tank isn't cycled at all. Using water from an established tank doesn't mean it's going to instantly cycle your new one. Water holds very little beneficial bacteria it all hangs out in your filter, substrate and decorations. Since your tank isn't cycled I'd recommend tubbing your axolotls and using the goldfish to cycle your tank. Keep an eye on water parameters as you will get an ammonia spike that is toxic. In a freshwater aquarium you need to have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and nitrates need to be registering as something, not 0.

I'd also like to add stress coat has aloe in it which is harmful to axolotls.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Scargrim

Reaction score
Just a question in tubbing how do I do that properly? Is there a thread I can read that off? I’m at work currently. Also the gills are small due from them being chomped off, I tried feeding them some pellets last night was a no go, they haven’t eaten since Tuesday (temperature around 16 celcius. I’m sorry I have a lot of questions. I’ve had these axolotls for 2-3 years in the one tank that I set up and kind of forgot everything and I forgot where I got all my information from. What’s the minimum amount of weeks for a tank cycle?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!