Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Furan-2 for sick axolotl

Day

Reaction score
17 days ago on Oct 31, my axolotl had a problem, this is the 3rd thread ive posted regarding to this situation and theres still no change to her besides her eating better and the constant flapping of her gills have stopped. People have suggested it may be a bacterial problem and to get Furan 2, this is day 3 out of 5 of starting the treatment process and there isnt a change at all. The swelling went down before I even started the Furan 2 treatment but thats about it. Furan hasnt done a thing to help her.
Her bottom jaw is swollen (First photo) hence why her mouth is open. The water levels are fine, thats not the issue.
I kind of feel like maybe her jaw is broken? She was the only one that rammed herself into all 4 corners of the tank when trying to transfer her from one tank to another. Ive seen threads of people going through the same situation I'm going through, but never explained what they did to treat it. Some of their axolotls may have had abscess or a fungus problem which isnt the case for mine. Ive done tea baths, salt baths. Is this a permanent thing?

Previous threads:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be.../110369-axolotls-mouth-open-what-do-i-do.html

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/110394-ive-tried-everything-help.html

Attachments

• IMG_6035.JPG
    IMG_6035.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_6423.JPG
    IMG_6423.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_6424.JPG
    IMG_6424.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_6425.jpg
    IMG_6425.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 218

Biev

Reaction score
If it's a physical injury, I think all you can do is wait... It must not be that bad if she's eating.

Eternie

Reaction score
If you believe it is an injury all you can do is keep your axie in clean, cold water, and it should heal on its own in time, make sure she/he is eating properly.
If it's an option, you c an try finding an exotic pet vet, and see if they do Axolotls, though it's not cheap.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1