Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Live Plant Transfer from Planted Liquid Fertilized Tank to Axolotl Tank

kwally

Reaction score
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the behavior of plants in axolotl tanks. I currently have a planted tank with beautiful Java Fern, Lucky Bamboo, Pothos in the filter (Devils Ivy), Telanthera Cardinalis, Marimos (Moss Balls), Water Lettuce and Anacharis (Elodea). However, this planted tank is fertilized using Liquid Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Flourish Excel and Flourish all from Seachem. I am aware of the sensitivity of my 4 beautiful axies to these chemicals but would like to introduce these plants from the other tank to their tank so that the plants may perhaps take care of some of the nitrate in the tank (Getting up to 40ppm in 7 days before my weekly water change!). Is there any way of doing so safely as to make sure that these fertilizers do not transfer over with the plants? Would a thorough washing in dechlorinated water do the trick? What about quarantining the plants over a period of time in dechlorinated water? And is it possible for plants to "leak" these chemicals back into water once placed into a different tank with clean water which could hurt my precious lotls? I am unsure if anyone has had a similar experience and would appreciate any feedback! Thanks in advance!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't answer scientifically, but I have taken plants and just washed them down to the root, soaked them a while (hour or so) and they haven't seen to cause any problems.

tundrabadger

Reaction score
Just err on the side of caution...I can't answer scientfically either, but if it were me I would wash thoroughly in dechlorinated water, then do a soak for a while in the same, drain it, replace the water, all that good stuff just to be sure, there's no harm in giving it a few days in dechlorinated water without the fertilizer in it. you're never going to say "oh man, I was too cautious and I regret that.

What are you planning with the bamboo? I'd love to get some but I have no real ideas for implementing it.

kwally

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses so far! So I am assuming that this CAN be done, just very carefully? As for the Bamboo, it is 24" tall so that the leaves easily clear my 50g low boy tank that is only 10" tall. I have read that the plant does quite well as long as the roots have somewhere to plant themselves and the leaves are not submerged. I plan on burying the roots in a terra cotta pot using black sand (Drainage hole plugged with aquarium safe glue) and allowing the leaves to stick out of the side of the acrylic lid, I will post pictures once the entire tank is setup! I am not sure how it will do as this is my first try with lucky bamboo but I will be sure to let you know :)

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses so far! So I am assuming that this CAN be done, just very carefully? As for the Bamboo, it is 24" tall so that the leaves easily clear my 50g low boy tank that is only 10" tall. I have read that the plant does quite well as long as the roots have somewhere to plant themselves and the leaves are not submerged. I plan on burying the roots in a terra cotta pot using black sand (Drainage hole plugged with aquarium safe glue) and allowing the leaves to stick out of the side of the acrylic lid, I will post pictures once the entire tank is setup! I am not sure how it will do as this is my first try with lucky bamboo but I will be sure to let you know :)
Hey! I know this is a while later, but would u post a picture of your set up tank? It sounds amazing!

leomleite

Reaction score
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the behavior of plants in axolotl tanks. I currently have a planted tank with beautiful Java Fern, Lucky Bamboo, Pothos in the filter (Devils Ivy), Telanthera Cardinalis, Marimos (Moss Balls), Water Lettuce and Anacharis (Elodea). However, this planted tank is fertilized using Liquid Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Flourish Excel and Flourish all from Seachem. I am aware of the sensitivity of my 4 beautiful axies to these chemicals but would like to introduce these plants from the other tank to their tank so that the plants may perhaps take care of some of the nitrate in the tank (Getting up to 40ppm in 7 days before my weekly water change!). Is there any way of doing so safely as to make sure that these fertilizers do not transfer over with the plants? Would a thorough washing in dechlorinated water do the trick? What about quarantining the plants over a period of time in dechlorinated water? And is it possible for plants to "leak" these chemicals back into water once placed into a different tank with clean water which could hurt my precious lotls? I am unsure if anyone has had a similar experience and would appreciate any feedback! Thanks in advance!
I think you won't have any problems there, since those plants are really low maintenance, they should adapt in the new tank. In the beginning you may see some leaves falling, but new ones will grow after they get used at the new home.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1