Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Sick axolotl need urgent advice please

ToothlessLotl

Reaction score
My friend's axolotl is unwell, and she's been unable to find an experienced vet to see him. She has managed to find a vet willing to work with her to help, but he doesn't have experience with axolotls. He's happy to prescribe whatever may be needed etc. but needs guidance. This axolotl has lived with my friend for several years, with a tank mate- Both always happy and healthy until now. He recently started going red, and since yesterday has gone downhill fast. He refused food yesterday, his toes have fallen off, the redness is worse and he started floating (but currently back at the bottom in isolation tank). He's improved already since a salt bath today but we really need to know what to do to help and treat him. Also is this red leg? We've never seen it before. She has Baytril antibiotic which the vet suggested may be needed to bath him in, but we are unsure of how much Baytril to water and so on. Are twice daily salt baths right? Should she be bathing him in Baytril too? What else needs to be done? We really would appreciate any help and advice. We've tried so many vets and aside from this one there are none willing or able to help. She's obviously placed the poorly axolotl in an isolation tank without pump, and covered with a towel to keep it dark. She has done a large water change in the original tank for the other axolotl (who is showing no signs of illness and still eating etc) and also cleaned all hides and artificial plants. I've attached photos. Last one is him now, since the salt bath

Attachments

• IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 1,380
  • IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 654

LippyNix

Reaction score
I have never dealt with an illness in my axolotls, but I did a quick search for "red patches on chin and belly of an axolotl" and found this: Axolotls - Health & Diseases

I would recommend you read this and then do a similar search and read whatever you can find. If you're lucky, that vet is intrigued and searching veterinary literature for anything that may help. Good luck!

axolover703

Reaction score
Those changes seem very sudden! Were there any major changes with water, environment, or feeding that's notable before this started happening?

ToothlessLotl

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. We have been reading every page we can find related to red leg and other possible causes. No changes to conditions, water, feeding etc. To update, this boy is looking a lot better today. He did after the first salt bath, and looks like he is continuing to improve. He's going to be having Baytril antibiotic baths twice a day as well as the salt baths, but would still appreciate any advice anyone can give! Would red leg improve from salt baths? He's no longer floating and the redness has lessened. He's also more alert.

ToothlessLotl

Reaction score
Unfortunately, despite the owner's best efforts this little guy passed away :(
Can anyone please tell me what she should do about the other one she has?? She's still feeding and happy with no signs- Although being black her owner is worried that red patches would be difficult to spot. Would it be expected that she'd be unwell by now too if she had whatever the male did? Would truly appreciate any advice on this as she is still unable to find a herp vet to help or advise!

Axolti

Reaction score
Aeromonas hydrophila, one of the "red leg" bacteria, is one the most common diseases that axolotls can suffer. It is septicemic, i.e. it can be widespread in the body because it is carried by the blood. Common symptoms are red patches on the limbs and parts of the body. Other bacteria such as Proteus, Pseudomonas, Acinetobacter, Mima, and Alcaligenes, have been found to affect axolotls. Salmonella is also known in axolotls and it is almost impossible to eliminate from effected animals as it becomes resident in the digestive tract. Treatment for most bacterial problems is best left to an expert, but the hobbyist has some means at his or her disposal. Obviously, changing the water is a good idea, but 100% Holtfreter's solution can also help to reduce bacterial numbers in the water and to aid osmo-regulation in effected animals. Antibiotics can be used in axolotls and the the most reliable form of antibiotic delivery is by injection, but this should usually be left to an expert.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!