Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Red backed Salamander

smcc13

Reaction score
My son and I were looking for snails and worms in
974eb034d760e87099bdc5346c0872bf.jpg
1d8d71657ac65a21628cceded52934df.jpg
our backyard and I found a very dried up red backed salamander. I picked him up with a stick and he moved a little bit I brought him inside and we’ve had him for about three days. His humidity is at 85 I’m trying to bring it down currently because I read that was too high I have pill bugs or roly-poly‘s are potato bugs whatever they’re called I have a bunch of small snails I have a bunch of small ones I have moss and grass and leaf litter some twigs and dirt from where we found it. it seems to be doing well he looks plump or she. It’s name is Wormy because my son thought it was a worm. It is very active at night and is in a 10 gallon tote with air holes all over the lid. Is there anything else I should do for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herpin Man

Reaction score
My suggestion is to get it hydrated and active again, and then release it where it was found, preferably where there is cover such as logs and bark.
Red backs are challenging captives, even for experienced salamander keepers. For a beginner, it would very likely die on you.
There are other species that I think you would find much easier and more satisfying to keep.

smcc13

Reaction score
I was told not to release him back for many reasons. One being his food source being from the petstore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you're right about that.
They are secretive, but I kept one successfully for a while but I did let it back out in my yard after a while . Honestly if you don't have any other salamanders in your house I wouldn't worry about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1