My Water Parameters GH/KH/PH

rilakkon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Melody
Hello

I wanted feedback on regards to good water parameters for an axolotl.

Right now the tap water is really soft of
around 35.8 ppm GH/KH
and 2 dKH
(API liquid test)

My PH is 7.4

I own a betta as well for about 6 months that is doing well on these parameters
but my main concern is that GH level since axolotl do better in “slightly hard” water

whats the best action to take?

I was thinking of just raising GH and leaving KH/PH “alone” as in not explicitly raising them, Ive read scary things about trying to mess with kh/ph

is there a way to raise kh and leave ph alone?

I've started using aquarium salt (API) to bring my hardness up. I haven't noticed a shift in pH yet, though I am yet to test it this week. I add around a teaspoon per 10L bucket during water changes. Limestone I think helps but that will raise pH.

Seachem Equilibrium and aquarium has helped me raise my GH and KH a bit, it slightly raised my PH but i was at a 0 for KH so you might not need to add as much as i do

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back