Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Super skinny, fungus infected, axie :(

Dotti

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

For about a month my axolotl has had trouble eating. He would normally eat, but then spit it back up again. I usually fed him blood worms. I then tried, earth worms. He still wasn't able to keep it down.
Then a few days ago, I notice he's starting to grow fungus and refuses to eat at all to the point where he'll swim away from me (I hand feed him.) his gills have completely deteriorated and so has his tail. He's lost Sooo much weight and seems really sluggish. And one of his toes is red and appears to have a big ball of fungus on the end and I don't really know what that is?

So far, I've taken him out of his tank and tubbed him. He's currently in the fridge because I heard it slows down fungal growth? I've planned to do a tea bath as well as water changes daily. Salt baths seem too harsh and I don't want to do it unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm not really sure what I'm doing as he's my first axie. Any advice?

I'm really worried because he's so skinny and his tail and gills are pretty much gone plus his refusal to eat. He's only young and I want to do everything I can to help him get better.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated :)

GeoludvikIV

Reaction score
Somewhere in the vicinity of "North America"
I have had this problem before, change what you feed it. Personally when I dealt with my sick axolotl who wasn't eating after a salt bath, it couldn't stomach live worms and she wouldn't even eat any frozen bloodworms either. The solution was to start feeding it brine shrimp (frozen cubes), turns out that they find the saltiness of the shrimp irresistible. Anyways, if that doesn't work, try other exotic foods like prawns.

With the fungal infection, I haven't dealt with an infection that bad before. After getting him to eat, try on with the salt baths after you are sure he is eating; the axolotl I had refused to eat anything for a week after a salt bath (fungus on her gills) , and only then I tried feeding it brineshrimp. The lack of gills and tail are probably side effects of starvation.

Also, don't forget to check water parameters, and try to let it recuperate after the salt bath (also, are you sure you're using non-iodized salt?)

I hope this helps

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!