The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
FelipeNN

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: FelipeNN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Introducing different sized axolotls

Hi, I have two adult axolotls, both about 23-24cm long.
I also have a younger one that I was waiting to grow up to a size where I can introduce them in the same tank.
Now the younger one is 17 cm long, do you think it is already safe to introduce them?

(I now there are similar questions on the forum, but as far as I've read through them, there where no consensus...)

Thank you

FelipeNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Kingfisher

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Kingfisher has started on the right path
Default Re: Introducing different sized axolotls

If your other axolotls are well fed and have lots of room to have their own space, I don't think would be a problem to have them together. Usual reason axolotls nip at each other is they're hungry and looking for a food source.

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Introducing different sized axolotls

I would wait until the smaller one is within one inch of the other two (or head sizes the same). Lots of hides and fill bellies will reduce the likelihood of nips but it'll be better just to avoid it where possible.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introducing size axolotl