Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. strauchii mutant embryos

J

jennifer

I have eggs from my N. strauchii again this year, happily. Something I noticed last year, and see again, is that there are a surprisingly large % of embryos that develop, but die before hatching. Out of my current batch of 14 embryos (all about the same age), I have 2 that are clearly defective.

The first photo is one that appears normal for its age. Second, one that has a bulbous abdomen. And third, a very abnormally-shaped one. The third one wiggles, but it came out of its egg prematurely and I'm sure it will die soon.

56075.jpg

56076.jpg

56077.jpg

K

kyle

Thats very interesting, and strange. I'd assume genetics is the most practical reason for the mutations, as I'm sure you may not have an extremely diverse group? Are there any other's not from the same group as yours in the U.S.?

Best of luck on succesfuly raising them again this year!

J

jennifer

I'm sure mine are inbred. There is only one bloodline of CB N. s. strauchii in the US. There may be some WC specimens "out there" but not part of the current breeding pool.

justin

Reaction score
The third picture certainly caught my eye...One of the C. popei I received hatched with the exact same type of swelling. Except for the difference in species it could be the same photo...Makes me wonder if this is a genetic mutation or some type of infection/illness? Maybe bacterial?

Really interesting. We're currently having trouble with our digital camera, otherwise I'd post a pic. of the animal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!