Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temperature and breeding of N kaiseri

F

frank

Hi all. In november 2004, I put my pair of N kaiseri in a breeding aquarium as I did in 2003. The male and female advertise their willingness to breed by the shape of their cloaca. In contrast to 2003, nothing happened until now... The main difference with the previous year was that the temperature was lower (between 11 and 13°C on average, compared to 15-17°C the previous year). The shape of the male cloaca even completely turned to its non breeding shape. This weekend, I raised the temperature to 15°C and the response was incredible: within 24 hours, the male cloaca was heavily swollen again and I noticed the first courtship behaviour. It thus appears to be important to keep temperatures above approximately 14°C for this species to perform breeding behaviour. On the other hand, these high temperatures appear not to be necessary for egg deposition and larval development since both continued in 2003 at temperatures between 10 and 11°C.

G

guenter

Hi Frank! As far as we could see N. kaiseri needs temperatures more than 18°C. But the species seems to be adaptable in a wide range corresponding to the wide range of altitudes they live in.

F

frank

Hi Guenter,

Nice to meet you here. Well, that is an interesting point of discussion. I read your report (and from Sebastian) on N kaiseri in Iran. If I am not mistaken, you measured water temperatures of 18°C in May! Wouldn't it be possible that during the winter months, temperatures drop to well below this temperature? Are there any data on water temperatures from that area in December/January?

S

sergé

Hi you both,
my observations are the same as Franks. If the temperature rose above 15 degrees Celsius the male developed a bigger cloaca, but below that temperature (or around it) it got smaller. The females showed no difference. The past three months the were kept between 10-15 degrees Celsius. The ate and were active, although no mating behaviour was observed. Now I have moved the whole aquarium to the living room where temperatures are 15-20 degrees Celsius.
Franks animals reproduced last year also after a colder period, and hopefully my animals will as well. My feeling is that a colder period could be very important for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1