The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 18th September 2004   #1
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Perhaps you remember!
I was looking for a Cynops cyanurus yunnanensis male since a long time for my lonesome female. Today I get one from a Netherlands Urodela friend. Oh happy day !!!Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.Here it is in full breeding coloration:
Click the image to open in full size.
And its belly:
This large female seems to like himClick the image to open in full size. – or is it the feed?Click the image to open in full size.
Now it has enough from my photos:
Hope to breed them now!Click the image to open in full size.

Paul

Old 19th September 2004   #2
yago

Gallery Images:
Comments:

A great male!
Well, you got a job now... hehe. Some enthusiast are looking for some CB cyanurus! Including myself!
Good look!
Greetings
Yago

(Message edited by yagoag on September 19, 2004)

Old 19th September 2004   #3
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Georgeous animals Paul, never seen one as blue

Old 19th September 2004   #4
jesper

Gallery Images:
Comments:

So Happy for you Paul! Hope you can get some breeding action out of them! Do we know of anyone else breeding these(I suppose you are going to give it a try)?

Old 21st September 2004   #5
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

In the past we had some good breeding of C.cyanurus! My C.c. female and some others of Cynops Register are those offspring. And topical there is also a breeder. I saw his larvae. But all good breeding only with wild caught cyanurus, not with captivity breed.
Now we will see, if it goes with the combination WC/CB.
What can be the reason for this problem?
- Not the right condition for the newts?
- Sickness?
- Crossbreeding of our CB cyanurus?

Paul

Old 21st September 2004   #6
yago

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Interesting. So, nobody has ever breed CB C.cyanurus?
Does any CB cyanurus got ever the breeding condition? It might be a problem of eggs infertility? Or may be adult infertility? or they don't even get the breeding condition?
Any more info on that? What are the tricks for wc c.cyanurus breeding success?
That’s a real challenge. Well, if anybody has CB juveniles or CB adults available I would like to give a try since, I have my best breeding setup empty; I haven't decided yet which specie I will focus on. I hope Gerstfelt will sort out my mind.
yago

Old 21st September 2004   #7
frank

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi,

This year, I bred C. cyanurus. Eggs were obtained from f1 females and (probably) a wildcaught male. F1 males were present in the same aquarium but showed little mating behaviour compared to the wildcaught one. The previous year, fertilized eggs were laid by a F1 breeding group but only very few larvae reached metamorphosis. I bred cyanurus in the past and always had the same problems: egg laying stops after only a relatively limited number of eggs had been deposited. This year, I had relatively few fertilized eggs. These fertility problems are not known to me from any other Cynops species.

Old 21st September 2004   #8
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Frank,

this is exactly what other breeder say!
Only very few larvae, or only not fertilized eggs in CB cyanurus, good breeding in WC.
New for me is your success with WC/CB like I try it now.

Paul

Old 21st September 2004   #9
harry

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Paul, I can see that you are very happy with the male. Nice photo's! and it was very nice to meet you in the netherlands. From the cyanurus cyanurus I have 27 larves now and they grow very fast. Also the First yunnanensis larves are born yesterday. 50% of my cyanurus is also CB. It is important to keep the cyanurus after the breeding season for an period on land. A lot of people do not know that.

Old 21st September 2004   #10
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Frank,
I have cb cyanureus on exhibit at work. They breed for about 6 months of the year and while there is a number of infertile eggs, I get a fair number of fertile eggs. I have reared the offspring on several different occasions and they have been easy to rear.
At this time, there aren't any institutions looking for offspring so I don't pull any eggs and let the adults and panchax consume all of the eggs and larva.

Ed

Old 22nd September 2004   #11
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Ed: You arent allowed to use them to supply the hobby and perhaps get them into the hands of people here?

Old 22nd September 2004   #12
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

To read these positive statements from different keepers to the offspring of C. cyanurus tune me confidently.
So I think, in the next years also for others it will be possible to get some CB cyanurus.
@Harry, I also enjoyed the Netherlands Salamander meeting very much, and it was great to see your newts.
First I will keep my C.cyanurus aquatic, then in one or two month I give them a terrestrial setup. Think in February, bring them back to water.

Paul

Old 22nd September 2004   #13
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Harry: I believe both zoos where Ed and Erik work with C. cyanurus have the adults breeding for several years now without terrestrial periods whatsoever. I also have raised my a few of my cyanurus completely aquatic with great results so far.

Old 22nd September 2004   #14
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

@Nate, did you already breed them in the past?
@Ed and Frank, can you give us some more information about the breeding conditions, like temperature, light, terrestrial or not ...

Paul

Old 22nd September 2004   #15
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Paul, I have not bred mine yet, but they appear ready now. The females are fat with eggs and the males have bluish sheens and papillae.

Old 22nd September 2004   #16
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Just for fun and conversation, here's a photo of one of my males that periodically gets very pale, much like grey orientalis.

Old 22nd September 2004   #17
erik

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi All,

Yes I breed them at work. They are kept aquatic year-round. They have the option to leave the water, but they never do so.

The metamorphs climb onto land for a week or so post-metamorphosis and then they go back in the water and never leave. Offspring are mature at about 14 months old.

Fertility is maybe 50-60% I would guess. We use 2 males per 1 female.

Hope this helps.

Old 22nd September 2004   #18
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

@Nate, I wish you good luck with breeding them!
@Erik, this is a very interesting information!
My females usually also do not leave the water, but that so young juvenile also stay in water I never heard. And "offspring are mature at about 14 months old" - thats very fast.
Can you say something about the temperature, in summer, in winter, changing day to night ...
Thanks for the information!

Paul

Old 22nd September 2004   #19
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

A portrait of the male:
Paul

Old 22nd September 2004   #20
erik

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yes that's the funny thing- temperature in summer 67F. In winter 60F. Not much change.

Light cycle is the same as local Cincinnati light period (photocell).

I was very shocked by how fast the babies grew up.I figured it would be slow going with a terrestrial period, but they made it very easy for me!

I hope this helps and btw we don't know for sure if our original breeders are wc or cb, but they are very old.

Tags
cyanurus, cynops, male

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 10th June 2019, 05:24 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.