The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 2nd April 2013   #1
salatriton

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: salatriton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cynops popei colors

Hello
I want to know if my Popei increase skin colors,
I am afraid that she will stay black as a Cynops orientalis.
I harbor the Cynops with earthworms and enchytraeids. this power will increase the ability to color his skin.
you who are more experienced, can you tell me if the Cynops will be colored or black?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0283.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	29609   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0284.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	29610  

salatriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013   #2
Janusz Wierzbicki
(Yahilles)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Cynops popei colors

If you feed the animal with crustaceans (Artemia, Hyalella, Daphnia), then the yellow parts (underside dorsolateral stripes) will becom more orange and reddish, because these foods contain carothenes. Earthworms and whiteworms won't do so.
Even the dark coloured popei are still different from orientalis. And you can't do nothing with gold speckling on the animal, it's amount depends on the specimen.

Old 4th April 2013   #3
salatriton

Nationality:

thanks janusz.
I will try with mosquito larvae might be okay ...?
from the pictures you can see if there are hopes of staining?

Old 4th April 2013   #4
Jasper
(jasper408)

Nationality:
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information

I find that the gold coloration improves with age. I wouldn't expect the change to be too dramatic though.

Mosquito larvae lack the necessary carotenoids, and it would mainly effect the belly, which we can't see.

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013   #5
Niels D
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Blood worms don't contain carotenoids. Daphnia, gammarus, artemia and other crustations do, but not enough to give your animals that extreme red colours you see with wild caught animals. I colour my juveniles with carotenoid powder which they use for increasing the red colours of birds. You only need a very small dosage and that comes in handy, because it isn't cheap.

Do you wish your animals to be more red or do you wish that green colour to turn up? I've got some juveniles here from a friend. They're from South Okinawa. They have less red than I've seen with a lot of other popei, but they've got a lot of green. I could post a pic if you want to know what I mean.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013   #6
SeaBee
(Sawyer)

Nationality:
Rep: Sawyer has started on the right path

Post up the pic, I'd like to see.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013   #7
Niels D
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Click the image to open in full size.

You see that they haven't got much red lining. They're bigger now and have more green colours, but still lack red as much as you see here. Their bellies are just as red as you see in most popei animals. Coloured them red with carotenoid powder.

Your animals look a lot like North Okinawa animals if I can remember this correctly when I saw these animals at Joost his place. Got the animals in the picture from him as well.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Old 5th April 2013   #8
Martin
(Davo)

Nationality:
Rep: Davo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and information

How much powder do you use and how do you use it? Can you dust crickets with it?What brand do you use?

Thanks , Martin.

Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013   #9
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I seem to remember a thread where it was proposed that aquatic vs. terrestrial raising of the offspring impacted the abundance of iridophores, but i canīt even recall which one did what.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013   #10
salatriton

Nationality:

I'm interested in just the green that you see in the photos of Popei small.
At this point I think my Popei is another sub-species different from that posted by niels d

Old 5th April 2013   #11
Jasper
(jasper408)

Nationality:
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhael View Post
I seem to remember a thread where it was proposed that aquatic vs. terrestrial raising of the offspring impacted the abundance of iridophores, but i canīt even recall which one did what.
It was a post in the thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...new-way-p.html

"The Russian caudata-community doesn't advise to raise Cynops ensicauda popei aquaticaly without a terrestrial phase!

Our generally accepted opinion says that the gilded spottiness of skin depends on a duration of life of young newt in terrestrial phase (dryness of air).

The newts C.e.popei raised aquaticaly (without a terrestrial phase) have really accelerated maturation but they resemble Cynops ensicauda ensicauda: the gilded spottiness is minimal (in fact, total lack of spots!)

Are we right, Morg?"

I can't verify or deny that since all of mine have had a terrestrial phase. However, it was in the water that the gold coloration really started to pop. Here is a comparison photo from one particular individual after four months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	311
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	29703   Click image for larger version

Name:	0072.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	29704  

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013   #12
Niels D
Field Herper

Nationality:

So the gold colours might "bloom" when they get in to the aquatic stage. Nice! My animals are still on land, though I'm trying to let them go aquatic at this moment, which is going pretty well. The green colours started to appear after they went on land.

I still can tell my H.orientalis larvae which I raised aquatically from the ones that had a terrestrial fase. These last ones are less dark and more "greyish" in colour. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I don't think so.

When I offer blood worms or tubifex on land for the juvenile FB newts I only use a little bit of powder that fits between my thumb and index finger as if I'm seasoning soup with a dash of salt. Do this until their bellies turn red.