Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

AXOLOTL COLOURS VS GENOTYPES

M

mik

OK for those interested in the myriad colours of axies and for my own edification I have prepared the attached table.

I have tried to make it more complete than other information that is freely available by trying to deal with the effects of various gene combinations. Don't know why but they never really seem to be discussed n any depth.

This is a work in progress but if anyone has any references that say different or knows better then I would love to hear what they have to say. Otherwise this is published for everyones reference. I hope it is found to be useful and apologise if I have made any mistakes. I welcome any and all corrections or discussions. Please email them to me at mikflounders@yahoo.co.uk.

Finally please note I am engineer not a biologist or geneticist but I find the subject as fascinating as axies themselves

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msexcel.gif
A Work in progress
Axolotl colouring rev P1.xls (22.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

M

mik

Oh yeah, page setup as to fit on a piece of A4 landscape..doh forgetful mikki

smaxolotl

Reaction score
This is fantastic!! I love a spreadsheet, so this helps me wrap my head around the topic. I'm glad you touch on all-black axolotls (do they have a special term?). I can't seem to find much information on what their actual genotype can be, but I'm very curious because My black axie has fathered a group that is now reaching maturity, and it would be helpful in considering future pairings. Anyway, thank you for your work on this!

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
This is fantastic!! I love a spreadsheet, so this helps me wrap my head around the topic. I'm glad you touch on all-black axolotls (do they have a special term?). I can't seem to find much information on what their actual genotype can be, but I'm very curious because My black axie has fathered a group that is now reaching maturity, and it would be helpful in considering future pairings. Anyway, thank you for your work on this!

Melanistic opposite of albino, happens in most species occasionally but is a dominate gene in Axolotls. true melanistics have no iridophores (shiny bits). if it has iridophores in the ring around the eye its a dark wild type.

http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm

honestly, i find it hard to believe you even tried googling what an all black axolotl is called. its not rare at all

curtpw

Reaction score
You all might already know this, but the vast majority of animals listed in the spreadsheet are not Axolotls - they are Tiger Salamander + Axalotl hybrids and quite distinct from wild Axolotl populations. The so-called 'wild type' Axolotl is the only true Axolotl and even many (if not most) of these in the hobby have some Tiger Salamander genetics mixed in. Generation of the Axolotl lab model population through the hybridization of an albino Tiger Salamander with a Axolotl is well known on Caudata but some may not be aware that the specific genetics in play have been revealed over the last couple years: "Identification of Mutant Genes and Introgressed Tiger Salamander DNA in the Laboratory Axolotl, Ambystoma mexicanum": https://www.researchgate.net/public...in_the_Laboratory_Axolotl_Ambystoma_mexicanum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!