Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Novice Newt Owner, need advice!

Parker

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and I just got 3 newts (2 eastern, and one chinese firebelly, all males) and I am a bit stressed because I've had them for 5 days now and they haven't gone in the water or eaten very much. They just hang out, sometimes in a huddle, in the moss area next to a plant. I need advice on how I should go about coaxing them into the water or if I just have to be patient. My friend suggests that I should raise the water level so that the only land spots are small moss pouches or lily pads, but I don't want to stress them out anymore. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Some things to consider: I know they are young adults, not efts
They are in a 10 gallon tank and are about 3 inches long(including tail)
The water level has wading areas and a deep area of 4 inches
I have a rock island, but they won't swim into the water to get to it
About 80% of the tank is in water
The water is clean

Sorry for the long message and thanks for reading

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, I would separate the two species as soon as possible, mixing species is a bad idea for lots of reasons, especially with stressed, wild caught pet store newts. If you have a look in the help section and read the sticky thread at the beginning you will find answers to most of your concerns.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your'e welcome! We really don't mind answering questions, but most of the info you need is in that thread. If you're unsure about anything else ask away! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!