Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How active is too active for an axolotl?

Salina

Reaction score
I recently got an axolotl and he's like super active and bumping into walls and stuff. I also have an API ammonia testing kit and my ammonia levels are 0.25, I got him two days ago and am wondering if i should do a water change or is it too soon?

WalkingFish

Reaction score
There are many reasons for an over active axolotl. Now ammonia is only a small part of your water chemistry and should stay low with your nitrate and nitrite levels. If you are only testing for ammonia I really recommend you buy test strips that test for all water parameters. Once you have your tank cycled and established you won't have to test it all the time like you're paranoid. Also doing water changes weekly at about 25 or 30% is a good way to ensure that you're not allowing toxins such as ammonia nitrate or nitrite to build up in your tank. But honestly water quality probably isn't the reason why he's moving around so much. Didn't you say you just recently got him? Maybe this is just his attitude and behavior to his new surroundings. Also what are you feeding him and how often are you feeding him it? And lastly do you have a pretty good idea of exactly how old this Axolotl is, juveniles do crazy stuff all the time. My female likes to swim back and forth back and forth through the bubbles coming from my AirStone. Just keep monitoring him and make sure it doesn't seem like he's stressed out and he keeps eating, there is a good chance that he's just being silly.

Salina

Reaction score
Yes i did just get him and right now i'm feeding him the pellets but i'm getting some earthworms today and i feed him every second day. I don't know how old he is exactly but he looks pretty young. I guess i'm just paranoid ahah like he isn't showing the other signs of stress like the gills curling forward or the curled tail so I think i'm good

WalkingFish

Reaction score
I have so been there a million times! I have thought something was wrong way more times than something actually has been wrong. Personally I feel that all new keepers feel this way. As far as pellets go I highly recommend earthworms over the pellets. Reason being pellets produce a lot of waste in your water and you'll have to mind the clean up immediately afterwards. Earthworms are pretty simple, they eat them and they're gone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!