Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Prospective Axolotl Father!

NaHummus

Reaction score
Hi All!

Name is David, currently living in NYC. Prepping for Axolotl ownership, I'm hoping to adopt 2 juveniles in the coming weeks with a 20gal long tank with an air pump/sponge. I plan on using a bacteria mixture to jump-start the cycle process and checking levels before actually adopting, which leads me to a few questions:

How long do you think the cycle process might take to stabilize, taking account the addition of bacteria formula?

What breeders would you recommend?

Are there any breeds that exhibit particular social characteristics?

Will my 20gal long tank be sufficient for 2 'lotls?

Thanks!

AuSu

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
I don't know much about axolotls but I'm quite sure you could find some answers in the Axolotl part here. And here are axolotl breeders, I think you can find a nice healthy individual from their babies. For sale-part is good to check out and I think someone was recently selling axies -- not sure though. Good luck!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I'll answer a little, but I don't keep axies.

THere are a few of us radicals who don't cycle tanks. I am one. I take aged water, throw in some leaves from the yard, let it bubble a day or two and that's that. I do a 1/2 water change once a month.

I'd just go to a local expo and see if they have axies; if not I'd look at our ads and get one from there.

There are no different breeds of axies, there are different colors, but I've never heard talk about different personalities based on color.

20 L should be fine for two axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1