Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank size to grow baby axies to selling size?

count

Reaction score
Hi,
I think my female axie Trinity has eggs and if she does i was wondering wat tank size i would need to grow an axie to about 15cm. i would like to grow them up on their own so they dont eat each other. thanks for the help.

louise

Reaction score
I have 4 subadult axies(about 8-9 cm) in a 3 foot tank at the moment, with no problems.

morph

Banned
Reaction score
i found the best way to raise 30-50 axies is to put them in ice cube trays for the first 2-3 weeks in individual compartments. It means you can keep an eye on how each is doing individually. It also means you can separate them into similar size groups with ease after this time to reduce losses due to canabalism. the only draw back is that you will have to do a 100% water change every day which does take up some time but i've found that the extra time spent doing it reduces losses by a great deal.

carpy

Reaction score
here's an interesting idea, i don't know if anyone else has tried it out.

my way of raising any cannibalistic aquatic animals is to but them into a fishing tackle box. if you buy tackle sets (i have loads) you often get them in a see-through 1 layer tackle box. or you can usually buy them seperately from a tackle shop for about £8 or 16$. these compartments have little gaps between them so water can pass through them, but the babies cannot. an added bonus is the fact that the compartment dividers are usually interchangeable, so when they grow, you can increase compartment size. it also means you can do a 50% water change.

anyone else have any ideas on how to raise young axies?

Alex

kapo

Reaction score
Hi,
i was wondering wat tank size i would need to grow an axie to about 15cm. i would like to grow them up on their own so they dont eat each other. thanks for the help.

How many do you intend raising and/or keeping? They're a lot of work. If it's the first time she breeds then keep 10-20 eggs to raise, and either cull the rest, sell or give them away.

Axolotl larvae will snap at anything that moves, so that may mean a limb, tip of gill or tail. As long as you keep them well fed and separate them when you start to see the size difference, so the bigger ones don't mistake the small ones as food.

I'm raising 20 at the moment. Originally had them in a 2 foot tank with airstone, no substrate. But have now separated them into 2s and have them in 2 litre size icecream containers, no airstone, getting fed twice a day and daily 90-95% waterchanges.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!