Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Glass beads in axie tanks?

Sweetie

Reaction score
In a number of the pics on this site, including avatars, I notice axie tanks that seem to have those flat glass beads on the bottom. I removed these beads from my axie's tank, fearing not only that as he grew bigger he might ingest them, ending up with a fatal impaction, but that debris and faeces would collect under and around them, making the tank harder to keep clean. I have replaced them with a largely empty tank bottom, with a few large flat river rocks in the axie's sleeping corner and one large porous rock he likes to hide/sleep/swim behind. Any thoughts on the potential dangers of these undeniably aesthetically pleasing glass beads?

Skudo09

Reaction score
I would advise against the glass beads. You are right to be concerned about possible swallowing and impaction. It is the same principle as gravel or stones. Axolotls can swallow stones as large as their head so unless pebbles are much larger than their head, it is best not to have them in the tank. Sand is a safer alternative (from five to six inches and longer) or bare bottom. The other problem is as you said that stones tend to trap debris and poo. It would be much the same with glass stones.

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
I also advise against the glass beads for all the reasons mentioned. My first axolotl tank had beautiful lavender beads in it, larger size, and my axies would kick them around searching for the blackworms that they could see wriggling underneath them. Sometimes, they would toss them about rather fiercely, and the beads themselves would end up chipped. Jagged edges and axolotls do not mix well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1